sick chicken

ckfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
I have a 5 month old white delaware who's health has been declining rapidly today. The day started off as usual then I noticed she had a long white string type thing hanging from her vent, this is not segmented so I don't believe it to be a worm. Now that white thing is gone, but she has been laying around and not acting like herself at all and very quiet. She does not seem to be eating but is drinking, she also doesn't seem to be pooping. Please help, I am new to chickens and have no idea what to do. Thank you

Mom to 2 human children, 3 Norwegian Buhund dogs, 1 alpaca, and 2 chickens.

hmm, wonder if she is egg bound? I had a hen who had a whitish looking thingy hanging from her vent. I was able to pull it out and afterwards she was fine. What about separating her and feeding yummy treats just to make sure she keeps her strength while she feels under the weather? Hope someone else chimes in too with additional advice and hope she gets better quickly for you.

I forgot to mention her last egg was yesterday and the one before that was last Wednesday, which was her first, so 3 days in between her first 2 eggs.

good news! She must of been egg bound, got it out and is now acting much better. We'll see what morning brings, but I'm expecting to go out and find my buddy back to herself again.

THANK YOU for the advice to those who responded! I am brand new at this chicken raising thing and had no clue this could happen! I spent half the day researching what could be wrong and found nothing that talked about the long white thing that was hanging from her vent. I even went to the bookstore and bought a couple books on raising chickens! I was very worried about her, she is my favorite. Thought for sure I was going to find a dead chicken this morning, that was very scary! She got the egg out late last night and is back to her good ole self this morning. I am still confused though. Everything I read about a chickens first eggs is to expect them to be small and soft shelled. Her first egg was last wednesday, a little small and normal shell. Her 2nd egg was on sunday with the same result, then yesterday this happened. The egg, when she finally got it out, was soft shelled. Why was her 3rd egg like that but not the first 2?

Again they're egg laying mechanism inside them takes a little time to adjust to laying, then everything will be ok. Ensure you are feeding them layer feed with at least 16-18% protein in it. Provide them crushed oyster shell as free choice. The calcium in it will help harden shells. I dont recommend adding calcium supplements in their feed, too much can cause problems down the road.

Back
Top Bottom