sick chicken

tazzmania

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Lake Odessa, Mi.
I have a roads island red hen that has a swollen mass between her legs. It's soft like a water balloon, she's not eating or drinking. Don't know what to do. Can anyone help with ideas? I heard maybe egg stuck or broken. They said tums or calcium????

If she has a stuck egg - no amount of tums is going to help her. Can you take her to a vet? Please post in detail on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread - this bird needs diagnosis and help NOW!!

images

Sounds like Ascites. Like a water balloon in her belly. Fluid builds up in the belly, usually from heart failure or hypertension. There is usually no treatment and eventually the bird needs to be put down. I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

Ok,thanks for the info. Every bit helps.I'm new to this site, still getting aclamated to all the area's. I've been raising chickens for 2 years now and this is first issue.

Could stress be caused by to many roosters? They have a nice big pen and they're able to go outside but they don't care for the snow. Gotta love this Michigan weather!

Back
Top Bottom