sick chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tazzmania, Feb 17, 2014.

1. tazzmania

tazzmania New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    Lake Odessa, Mi.
    I have a roads island red hen that has a swollen mass between her legs. It's soft like a water balloon, she's not eating or drinking. Don't know what to do. Can anyone help with ideas? I heard maybe egg stuck or broken. They said tums or calcium????

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she has a stuck egg - no amount of tums is going to help her. Can you take her to a vet? Please post in detail on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread - this bird needs diagnosis and help NOW!!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Sounds like Ascites. Like a water balloon in her belly. Fluid builds up in the belly, usually from heart failure or hypertension. There is usually no treatment and eventually the bird needs to be put down. I am so sorry. [​IMG]

4. tazzmania

tazzmania New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    Lake Odessa, Mi.
    Ok,thanks for the info. Every bit helps.I'm new to this site, still getting aclamated to all the area's. I've been raising chickens for 2 years now and this is first issue.

5. tazzmania

tazzmania New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    Lake Odessa, Mi.
    Could stress be caused by to many roosters? They have a nice big pen and they're able to go outside but they don't care for the snow. Gotta love this Michigan weather!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Above posters gave great advice, hope you figure it out and she gets better.

Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by