Sick chickens and some are dying.

litesnsirens13

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2022
Hello everyone,
It looks like my flock has broken out with respiratory infections . I did have some new ones join my flock from another yard. Now I have some very little healthy ones passing. I e noticed Three roosters with swollen eyes and discharge . My little one that passed tonight had discharge from the nose. I have been giving antibiotics pills and doing hot compressed on the eyes to sooth them but I don’t think it’s helping. What should I do? I don’t have a chicken vet out here. I am going to feed store tomorrow. Please any advice would help

Hello everyone,
It looks like my flock has broken out with respiratory infections . I did have some new ones join my flock from another yard. Now I have some very little healthy ones passing. I e noticed Three roosters with swollen eyes and discharge . My little one that passed tonight had discharge from the nose. I have been giving antibiotics pills and doing hot compressed on the eyes to sooth them but I don’t think it’s helping. What should I do? I don’t have a chicken vet out here. I am going to feed store tomorrow. Please any advice would help
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post some photos of the birds?
Where are you located in the world?
What are the antibiotic pills - please post a photo of the product and tell us the dose you are using.
How old are the birds?
Is there a bad odor from the discharge? Any lesions or pasty material inside the beaks?

If the eyes are swollen with pus, then a warm compress may be helpful in loosening the pus, flush with saline and push the pus out. An eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye can also be helpful.

Hard to know which disease you are dealing with. Some are bacterial and antibiotics can help with symptoms. Other are viral and antibiotics will only help with secondary infection symptoms.

Work on hydrating the birds, keep them warm.

Miami Florida
Swollen eyes and discharge is mycoplasma (MG) and/or coryza (usually both). But it by itself isnt usually fatal. It is contagious especially to younger chickens, but just to give you some hope, for my chickens it usually goes dormant and symptoms diappear once they become adults.

You may need to clean their eyes for them occasionally in the mornings due to the clear sticky discharge. Also hygiene is important, having clean water and shared areas.

Treatment is not straight forward because flare ups can be caused by other problems. To reduce the symptoms, here is what I recommend.

-make sure you treat for parasites. Deworm the sick birds, especially at a younger smaller size if they have never been dewormed. Worms do kill, and cause MG flare ups. Additionally check for mites. Look for bald spots where the bird may be scratching at mites, inspect for mites around the eyes and ear vents.

-treat for coccidiosis. This requires isolation and replacing fresh water with medicated water.

When I get MG or coryza flare ups, I put the sick bird in a seperate cage with medicated water that contains anti-cocci medicine, along with antibiotics for the MG/coryza. If you control the parasites and cocci, the eye problems usually go away. Parasites and cocci are fatal, MG by itself isnt usually fatal.

If it is a really bad disease and is contagious (which it sounds), I am sorry to say this but usually people have to kill their whole flock.

Could they have gotten this disease from the new chickens? Are they sick too?

Thank you, I treated all their water today and separated as many sick birds I could identify and catch. Right now it only seems like 4 and I separated all of them in separate areas. I hope this works. I love them all so much and it hurts me when they don’t make it. What medicine do you all recommend? What can I buy over counter?

Hello everyone,

I tried to attach a video but could not. Birds have discharge from nose still and swollen eyes. Is there a antibiotic I can give them ?

Back
Top Bottom