Sick chickens HELP!

two 5 month old pullets who have been sick now for 4 days

symptoms include lethargic, weak, wings dragging, not eating, very loose white/clear stool and sometimes green. One is gasping and one is not. I've been giving them poultry nutridrench and I've given them 3 days of 125mg of penicillin fish tank antibiotic pills.

Also just discovered they are infested with mites. I sprayed them down with premethin and all these little white bugs came to the surface. Could these be causing this?
Photos of the droppings?

The vet didn't notice the bugs?
Are you treating with Corid as well, I'm a bit unclear on that.

Have you noticed respiratory symptoms besides the gasping in the one - any mucous, eye discharge, sneezing, etc.?

Getting rid of the mites is very good. I agree, I would keep them warm, offer the electrolytes for a day or two, see that they are eating well. See what happens. Hopefully those tests will come back and determine if you need to treat for Coccidiosis or not.

Can they stand at all?
Were they vaccinated?

Photos of the droppings?

The vet didn't notice the bugs?
Are you treating with Corid as well, I'm a bit unclear on that.

Have you noticed respiratory symptoms besides the gasping in the one - any mucous, eye discharge, sneezing, etc.?

Getting rid of the mites is very good. I agree, I would keep them warm, offer the electrolytes for a day or two, see that they are eating well. See what happens. Hopefully those tests will come back and determine if you need to treat for Coccidiosis or not.

Can they stand at all?
Were they vaccinated?
Thank you for the reply! No the vet did not notice. From my experience their expertise was definitely not poultry lol. I was desperate for answers and took them to the first vet who gave me the green light to bring in chickens.

I will try to get a photo of their droppings. About an hour ago I had them out and was offering water, drenching some electrolytes and letting them eat some wet mash that they seem to like. I noticed ones stool was alot better and not pure liquid. It had shape and was dark green with clear liquid.
They are very wobbly and stumble around. Their wings hang down and they have a hard time keeping their balance.
Only one is gasping. Other than that no wheezing, sneezing, or any other respiratory symptoms.

So I guess my current game plan is keeping them hydrated and eating. I have them inside where I can give them TLC. Thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom