Sick chickens..please help.

cjh0907

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 5, 2011
Western Mass
So last year my chickens got sick. They started sneezing and around their eyes were swollen. you could also hear them having trouble breathing. I ended up losing a couple of birds and ended up getting them tested by the state. they came back clean and the sickness went away. I didnt add any new birds to my flock this year. Last week the same sickness came back. I lost numerous birds and am clueless as to what is going on. I tried apple cider vinegar and it doesnt seem to do anything. What is going on with my flock and what do i do?

Definitely sounds like respiratory infection. If they're dying, get them on an antibiotic quick. Get down to your local feed store and see what they have available. Then as Sourland says, try to find the underlying issue. Draughts & damp would definitely do it. Are they eating enough of their feed? Laying chickens are on a knife edge nutritionally, and need to eat their days feed before they fill up on any treats. Have they been wormed?

There shouldnt be any problems with drafts, i was worried i might not have enough ventilation in one coop but the others should be fine, being dry and no drafts. they all still eat well, but i have not wormed them. What is the best way to worm a chicken and can i still collect eggs?

I recommend using Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer for worming, it kills all known worms that chickens can get. It can be purchased from Jefferslivestock.com or call them if your feed store doesnt carry it. Use a syringe (without needle) to administer it orally undiluted. Dosage is 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose again in 10 days. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after last dosing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom