Sick chickens

New2the Yard22

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2022
Hello, I am new to the chicken world and need advice. My chickens are 3 mos. old. 2 weeks ago, I went to the coop and found 1 chicken dead, then the next morning I found another. I was puzzled. Cleaned out the pen. The next week I have a chicken that is to himself, in the corner, hunched up moves around but not much, same for eating and drinking. I go to tractor supply and the worker thinks its coccidiosis and recommends Corid. I put this in the water even separated the sick chick but he didnt make it. This time we moved the hoop coop to new grass and all seem to be in good health now except some of their poop is mahogany brown color and like pudding. Any ideas? I dont want to loose anymore of my flock. Thank you

20220925_180938.jpg

Hello, I am new to the chicken world and need advice. My chickens are 3 mos. old. 2 weeks ago, I went to the coop and found 1 chicken dead, then the next morning I found another. I was puzzled. Cleaned out the pen. The next week I have a chicken that is to himself, in the corner, hunched up moves around but not much, same for eating and drinking. I go to tractor supply and the worker thinks its coccidiosis and recommends Corid. I put this in the water even separated the sick chick but he didnt make it. This time we moved the hoop coop to new grass and all seem to be in good health now except some of their poop is mahogany brown color and like pudding. Any ideas? I dont want to loose anymore of my flock. Thank you
Coccidiosis would be my first guess. It can kill quite quickly. If things improved after moving the coop that also suggests it's a local problem which coccidiosis often is.
Is the mahogany poop you are seeing cecal poop?

Coccidiosis would be my first guess. It can kill quite quickly. If things improved after moving the coop that also suggests it's a local problem which coccidiosis often is.
Is the mahogany poop you are seeing cecal poop?
Thanks for responding! I'm not sure on the poop. It wasn't until I looked through some posts here that I had ever heard of cecal poop..lol

Thanks for responding! I'm not sure on the poop. It wasn't until I looked through some posts here that I had ever heard of cecal poop..lol
Most of the coccidiosis cases I've seen that were evident in the poop were spots of blood.
Cecal poop catches a lot of people out. About 1:7 poops are cecal poops so check what other poops you get.

Thank you, will do.
Should you get further signs of what may be a coccidiosis problem it's best to dose the chickens by hand. This should mean you not only give the sick chicken the right dose but for the sickest, you get the corrid into them at full strength quickly.
Work out the dose per chicken for the Corrid (there is inforamtion on this in the articles section but I can't find the link atm) put the dose in a small bowl and soak small pieces of bread in it and offer these to the chickens.
In the worst cases you may find you have to syringe the dose into the chickens beak. There are articles here on BYC that will help you with this as well.

Back
Top Bottom