Sick chicks, is it the ecoglow?

ladyrsanti

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Michigan
They're 1 1/2 weeks old. A few days after hatch their breathing started sounding rough, little raspy and gurgly, sneezy. Now I have two that are sick, lethargic, not eating, drinking, etc. One of the two is worse off, found it under the ecoglow this morning, nearly dead. The other is more active but still not well. I've got 19 in total. Is that too many for an ecoglow? It's supposed to house 20. They do seem to hang out of it at night and our house isn't particularly warm, especially the room I keep them in, upper 50's-lower 60's at night. We get 2-3 pasty butts every day! Which is why I suspect a temperature issue but I guess it could be something else. They were on medicated starter for the first week and now they're just on plain starter. Didn't figure an issue there. They've been on TSC wood shavings but I took those out, fearing mold or something, I dunno, so they're on newspaper now until I get over to the feed store to get a new bale. Doesn't hurt to switch. I'm questioning everything, even our tap water. Filtered? Unfiltered? From the barn hydrant? I gave them sav-a-chick a couple of days ago to no effect, then a little vinegar and then a little yogurt and then garlic. But nothing seems to help and I worry that too much fiddling with their diet only makes things worse, throws things off. I ordered a second ecoglow today, just in case (and well, I have another hatch due in a few weeks so I'll need it anyway). The sick ones are separated in an old aquarium with a hot water bottle to snuggle against, under a towel. I'm trying to get fluids in them. One has a mushy crop though, maybe sour crop.

I've never had an issue like this in chicks so young, in my own hatches. Any advice or thoughts would be welcome.

Another possibility is a mycoplasma, this can passed from the mother hen to the chicks through the egg and results on respiratory signs. Not sure if you have had your flock tested clear for this recently, if so then maybe not a concern. Its one of the most common diseases causing respiratory symptoms. There are medications you can add to the drinking water that can help with the symptoms, but if you don't figure anything else out and you lose some, your best bet is to send your losses for a necropsy at your state poultry lab to find out exactly what you're dealing with. Many state labs will do this for free. Mycoplasma is more common than people realize and some adult birds never show signs even though they are carrying it. It's especially tough on young chicks. There's a lot of information online about it. Hope they do okay!

Aspergillosis sounds more likely. The eggs came from two different sources and all the chicks showed respiratory issues about the same time, leading me to believe it was from their environment. The respiratory issue was the first sign and that's when I feared the shavings that I had just added (around day 3). Then the pasty butts started. I don't want to stress them any more than they are but I have to do a daily check on each chick and that isn't helping. The two sick ones are not doing well or responding to anything I've done. One has gotten worse, the other is hanging in there. I may cull them if they don't improve soon. I hate to watch them suffer. Just wish I could know what's causing it.

Back
Top Bottom