Sick chicks what wrong with them? (Video Link Inside)

blitz1027

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Natchitoches
I've posted a couple threads about this a while back and got some good advice on treating chick that had become weak and would lose they're balance and eventually die. Well after treating with sulmet for a while they started improving. I go to check on them yesterday evening and find one acting like the others that had acted. I had my camera handy so I decided to take a small video of the chick so you might get an idea of what they are doing. It doesn't walk around much and when it try's to it stumbled over. And for the record I did this video yesterday evening and when I came to check on them this morning the chick was dead.
hit.gif

79575_dscf1983.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what the problem with your chick was. I am so sorry for your loss.

However, I know that for some coccidiosis courses, it comes back and I have to retreat after a few days. So that is not unusual.

But I have never seen this wobbling before with coccidiosis. I would be inclined to try some vitamins (not to be ever given with Corid just so you know) in the water to see if that helped.

I hope someone else will know the answer.

If they are falling down, I would say Botulism
hmm.png
I had a little chick die from this, it was a very slow and painful process. Would you describe it as paralysis of the legs? In my experience first the legs go, then the wings, then the neck, and then death. It is caused by moldy feed and unsanitary conditions. I'm sorry about you chickie, it's hard to loose them
sad.png

Sulmet is hard on the birds and doesnt treat all strains. Corrid treats 9 types and is easier on their livers. It could that if you have cocci that its not one of the kinds that Sulmet treats.

Just watching him and with his beak open as well...it appeared as if he was really struggling to breath, hence looking like he was wobbly in the legs. Lack of oxygen caused the weakness and progressed to death... Im not exactly sure on the diagnosis....could be aspergillosis fumigatus, CRD, IB, mycoplasmosis or any number of other resperatory diseases...I would seek the advice of a vet on this one because it could be highly contagious to the rest of your birds.

Quote:
MAKE SURE YOUR PEND IS CLEANED, AND THE FOOD YOU ARE FEEDING FINE ENOUGH FOR THEM TO EAT, ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS HAPPEN TO SMALL CHICKS, MAKE SURE THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF THERE BUSINESS, THERE BUTT IS CLEAN SO THEY CAN GO WHEN THEY NEED TOO.

Yes, make sure the crumbles are ground smaller or make a wet mash. I would think about sending a dead chick to a lab. Before you get more chicks.

As far as conditions go they are on wire off the ground so they're droppings fall through. Also I've been feeding them Dumor chick starter until I can find some other brand. I'm not sure if I would say they have paralysis of the legs because the first one I lost got where it couldn't stand but you could pick it up and it would still kick it's legs.

Back
Top Bottom