Sick Chicks?

Offshoreorca

Whale Whisperer
Apr 15, 2020
Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
So everything has been going well with my batch of chicks up until now. They are a mix of five Wheaton Ameraucanas I bought as hatching eggs and five Cochins from my own coop. They are three weeks old today/tomorrow.

Today I looked in the brooder and two of the Wheaten Ameraucanas have issues.

1) One has a single watery eye - not swollen, but a little pink around the duct. No other symptoms. I use pine shavings in their as bedding so I'm wondering if maybe some dust has become lodged in her eye. It's likely my only pullet so I'm hoping it's nothing bad.

IMG_2275.jpg

2) Then the Blue Wheaton Ameraucana cockerel has calloused skin on the back of his neck which is red and the feathers that were coming in are removed. It isn't oozing anything, just hardish and red like it's been picked on (though I haven't observed this) and he is eating/drinking normally.

IMG_2276.jpg

Should I be really worried about this or do you think it's coincidence that I noticed these two things at once? Our adult flock has had no issues with health problems and the breeders of the Wheaten Ameraucanas had very healthy looking birds.

That you've noticed these two issues is great. Don't overthink it.

The eye issue is likely the early stage of an eye infection. Treat it by first flushing the eye with saline eye wash and then twice a day use Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin in the eye.

For the irritated neck, Blu-kote can heal any bacteria causing the redness and it will camouflage the exposed neck to deter further picking.

That you've noticed these two issues is great. Don't overthink it.

The eye issue is likely the early stage of an eye infection. Treat it by first flushing the eye with saline eye wash and then twice a day use Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin in the eye.

For the irritated neck, Blu-kote can heal any bacteria causing the redness and it will camouflage the exposed neck to deter further picking.

Thanks for this advice. We can no longer buy Blu-kote in Canada so I will search alternate options. I'll pick up some saline and Neosporin for the first chick to help it along.

Last edited:
Blu-kote is gentian violet. If you can find a medical friend to get some from work, that would be one way to get it. Another is to ask a vet to prescribe gentian violet.

Long ago you could get it over the counter, but as with so many things a few abuses has spoiled it for the many.

Blu-kote is gentian violet. If you can find a medical friend to get some from work, that would be one way to get it. Another is to ask a vet to prescribe gentian violet.

Long ago you could get it over the counter, but as with so many things a few abuses has spoiled it for the many.

Both my dad and sister are vets, but alas one is in British Columbia and one is in Wales so they're both out of reach right now. I'll check if the vet down here would be able to prescribe it, but he won't be open until Thursday as I'm rural and it's a rotating clinic. Hopefully I'll be able to make do until then.

Back
Top Bottom