Sick chook...Don't know what is wrong with her :(

Chicky2013

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Australia
My pet chook Chicky is sick. I'm really lost on what to do to help her out. I've done everything i can. She has greenish/clear diarroeah and her tail is pointed downwards. She looks tired most of the time, but will move about here and there and eats grass more than her pellets. She's not egg bound (she had an implant that stops her producing eggs because she had pertinitis 4 months ago), i've treated her for lice & mites, gave her a warm bath, put garlic in her water and gave her some yoghurt and olive oil. Took her to the vet and they gave me worming meds which she still hasn't changed appearence. I don't want to lose her since i've recently had 10 chooks killed by a fox. I did put her out with the 3 remainding chooks to live with for a few days since there wern't many to bully her and that's when i noticed her health decline so i put her back in the garage.

Does she seem lethergic and sleepy? Is everything else about her normal? Her breathing no coughing sneezing or mucus? If she just seems sleepy and lethergic it very well could possibly be coccidosis. With cocci bloody poo is not present in all strains. Look up the symptoms of coccidosis keeping in mind bloody poo does NOT always have to be present for the bird to be infected. If you agree that she seems sleepy and lethergic and symptoms match then you can treat her with amprolium its brand name is corid or amprol its all the same. The amprolium kills all 9 strains of cocci and should help. If you are outside the US I believe they call it Amprol. Symptoms of coccidosis can be sleepiness lethergie bloody poo may or may not be present. If you agree she might fit this description try treating with the amprolium or amprol. If she doesn't have other symptoms such as mucus coughing sneezing trouble breathing then I might suspect coccidosis. I hope this helps .I wish you the best.

Forgive the delayed reply, and thank you so much for the advice. I will go down to the shops tomorrow and ask about Amprol. This is the first time I've heard of cocci. I looked it up on google and it sounds horrible. I'm still learning heaps as I wasn't aware of all the nasty things that can go wrong with chooks. Thank you again. Update on how Chicky is: she's not as sleepy as what she was yesterday, her appetite and posture has improved (at first she was hunched like a penguin but now her tail has perked up a little bit and she's walking more like a chook). I did notice a week ago she was making a funny breathing sound when she was sitting down, but not anymore. I let her out of her cage today and she is becoming her chatty self again. Oh and her poop is looking a bit more solid, still a bit of the runs. I'm still worried about her. I would hate for her health to back flip.

I did everything I could for her but unfortunately, after she looked miserable today, she died tonight. I'm going to miss that chook :(

I would still get Amprol for the rest of the flock. Cocci can spread flock wide very quickly. Treat for five days and its always good to have it on hand in case this happens in the future. No supplemental vitamins while on Amprol, but give vitamins and probiotics after the five day Amprol treatment.

Amprolium won't hurt the chickens as its just a thiamine blocker [cocci thrive on thiamine] so its better just to treat the flock as a precaution.

Back
Top Bottom