Sick Cockerel. Yellow pasty poop

SBlanton

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
I have a 6 mo old Yokohama Cockerel. Not fully mature yet. 2 days ago he was acting really sluggish and tired. Pulled him in gave some electrolytes and scrambled eggs and been letting him rest.
This morning checked on him and he is passing yellowish paste like poop. He is acting more lethargic today and is open mouth breathing.
I am unsure of what other steps I can take or what is actually wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20240102_121436845.jpg
    IMG_20240102_121436845.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 17042196116148178284577278916355.jpg
    17042196116148178284577278916355.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 6
Update: he is still drinking.
But now is stretching neck up every few minutes or so gasping for air. He will also shake his head.
I checked inside his mouth and looked down the throat. Everything is clear.
No drainage from eyes, or mouth. Very little clear drainage from nostrils.
Today, he is not standing and is just laying in a nesting position.

What do you feed him? Any chance he gets a lot of meat scraps? How about worming? Has your flock been wormed lately?

Where did he come from? Hatched in your flock or from a hatchery or a private breeder? Has he lived with your from his beginning or is he a recent addition?

What do you feed him? Any chance he gets a lot of meat scraps? How about worming? Has your flock been wormed lately?

Where did he come from? Hatched in your flock or from a hatchery or a private breeder? Has he lived with your from his beginning or is he a recent addition?
They get to forage, then they get chick feeder with oats, black sunflower seeds, and scratch.

He has been with us since a couple days old. So I have had him for about 6 months.

Got him from a hatchery, a long with some other ladies.
He is the only one of these breed. Everyone else seems okay.

I have not dewormed the entire flock since the summer. He wasn't with them yet, so he has not been dewormed. He did have vaccines as a chick from the hatchery for Coccidiosis and Marek's.

Unless he has a genetic issue with his liver, the signs right now point to possible worms. It simple and safe so go ahead and do it. If it doesn't clear up his poop, then I would suspect he has an issue with his liver.

Unless he has a genetic issue with his liver, the signs right now point to possible worms. It simple and safe so go ahead and do it. If it doesn't clear up his poop, then I would suspect he has an issue with his liver.
Alright. I will deworm him then, and see if that will help. Thanks

Just checking in after being tagged. I would follow the advice of azygous. Bright yellow urates in the poop are usually from a liver issue, sometimes heart failure, or E.coli infection especially in hens. I would work on getting him to eat and drink, and keep him comfortable as possible. Worming him with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally on day 1 and again on day 10, or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days would be good.

Back
Top Bottom