Sick cockerel

Jayrenw

Chirping
Jul 13, 2020
Maui, Hawaii
My cockerel is almost 4 months, this morning he was walking around closing 1 eye, once I let him out with the rest he found a shady spot and just slept. He’d only become active to run away from me but he would run with both eyes closed. I have him now In a dark room in my house and he just sleeps. Eyes are watery but not bubbling or swollen. There’s no wheezing or gasping for air. there was no signs of watery or bloody poops, In the area that he roosts and his crop is not swollen hard or anything. It’s just tiny because he hasn’t eaten today. He just got treated for worms 5 weeks ago.

it has been really rainy lately I live in Hawaii and it’s our winter here basically. His comb is still bright red and he’s recently become sexually mature so the older roo has been bullying him much more than before. His vent is clear, no mites or lice. I gave him nutri drench but I’m stumped... I’m leaning more toward respiratory infection?? I do have corid but im not thinking coccid... any suggestions would help!

Attachments

• 14CFB4DE-BF9E-4810-A5D5-2F98AC987879.jpeg
    14CFB4DE-BF9E-4810-A5D5-2F98AC987879.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 17
Could the other roo be bullying him off feed? Can you provide some moistened feed amd see if he’ll eat it? And maybe some scrambled egg?
The older roo doesn’t roost with them so he does have access to the feed, but not so much the treats, because I give it to them after I let them out. I will try to feed him that tho, thank you!

My cockerel is almost 4 months, this morning he was walking around closing 1 eye, once I let him out with the rest he found a shady spot and just slept. He’d only become active to run away from me but he would run with both eyes closed.
Eyes are watery but not bubbling or swollen. There’s no wheezing or gasping for air. there was no signs of watery or bloody poops, In the area that he roosts and his crop is not swollen hard or anything. It’s just tiny because he hasn’t eaten today. He just got treated for worms 5 weeks ago.
His comb is still bright red and he’s recently become sexually mature so the older roo has been bullying him much more than before. His vent is clear, no mites or lice. I gave him nutri drench but I’m stumped... I’m leaning more toward respiratory infection?? I do have corid
Can you get some photos of his eyes? Photos of his poop too please.
Any lesions or canker inside his beak?
Respiratory infection - any mucous, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, rales?

I would give him a direct dose of Nutri-Drench at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.
The older rooster may be moving him out and keeping him from food, that's a possibility.

Check his crop first thing in the morning.

Could the other roo be bullying him off feed? Can you provide some moistened feed amd see if he’ll eat it? And maybe some scrambled egg?
After a few hours of sleeping on me he finally ate some wet feed and drank a lot! He was energetic for a bit and groomed himself while still closing his eyes. An improvement from this morning.

Can you get some photos of his eyes? Photos of his poop too please.
Any lesions or canker inside his beak?
Respiratory infection - any mucous, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, rales?

I would give him a direct dose of Nutri-Drench at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.
The older rooster may be moving him out and keeping him from food, that's a possibility.

Check his crop first thing in the morning.

I didn’t see any lesions in his beak, and he doesn’t make much sounds except his typical whining. No wheezing, sneezing or coughing. It did sound a little weird when he was drinking water like a gurgling sound when you get an upset stomach? there’s been much more aggression between them in the last couple days...So that may be the problem. I raised him from a chick so I’m much more attached to him than the aggressor

Attachments

• 1B8A9503-0E6B-43C7-9BD4-1DB1DF7CF064.jpeg
    1B8A9503-0E6B-43C7-9BD4-1DB1DF7CF064.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 5
  • C8FF34FF-B59C-43BB-8BC1-D3BBC5B58382.jpeg
    C8FF34FF-B59C-43BB-8BC1-D3BBC5B58382.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 5
  • B3492D86-506F-4036-A4F1-6FFD5CC1E200.jpeg
    B3492D86-506F-4036-A4F1-6FFD5CC1E200.jpeg
    555.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 01C6FA87-FF3A-400C-ADDB-B6CC3F1EB8F4.jpeg
    01C6FA87-FF3A-400C-ADDB-B6CC3F1EB8F4.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 4
After a few hours of sleeping on me he finally ate some wet feed and drank a lot! He was energetic for a bit and groomed himself while still closing his eyes. An improvement from this morning.
I didn’t see any lesions in his beak, and he doesn’t make much sounds except his typical whining. No wheezing, sneezing or coughing. It did sound a little weird when he was drinking water like a gurgling sound when you get an upset stomach? there’s been much more aggression between them in the last couple days...So that may be the problem. I raised him from a chick so I’m much more attached to him than the aggressor
Check his crop first thing in the morning before he eats/drinks, it should be empty.

Sounds like he may be being kept from food/water and it's time to keep him and the other rooster separated. They may work it out some do.
I wouldn't necessarily view the older rooster as the aggressor - he's just defending his territory and hens from a challenger...

Check his crop first thing in the morning before he eats/drinks, it should be empty.

Sounds like he may be being kept from food/water and it's time to keep him and the other rooster separated. They may work it out some do.
I wouldn't necessarily view the older rooster as the aggressor - he's just defending his territory and hens from a challenger...
Thanks for the help! Turns out he had cocci... 2 days of treatment and he’s already back out chasing the girls. I didn’t know cocci could be present even without blood in their stool.

Back
Top Bottom