Sick Cornish X chick - vomiting, lethargic

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
(Cross-posted here and on my meat bird thread)
SICK MEAT CHICK! Please help!!!

One of my birds is sick. They are just shy of 3 weeks old and have been healthy and active so far. This morning I noticed one was a bit lethargic, not moving so much and just sitting or standing with his eyes closed while the others zoomed around, ate, and drank.

signal-2022-09-30-12-32-50-569.jpg

This afternoon I told myself I'd give him a drop or two of Nutri Drench if he still looked bad. Well, I went back out and he looked worse, plus there was some brown liquid dripping down his beak. I stepped away for a moment to get the Nutri Drench and when I came back, he was shaking his head and spreading the brown liquid all over the brooder and the other birds!

I quickly got a rubbermaid tub from the basement and one of my plant lights and put him in there. He vomited the brown liquid into the water as I lowered him in! Unsure if it was because I touched his crop or if he just happened to.

Right now he is in the tub under a light. He relaxes his head forward and I can hear liquid fill his beak, and then he tilts his head back to swallow it. He does this over and over.

signal-2022-09-30-12-33-29-987.jpg

signal-2022-09-30-12-33-41-170.jpg

What do you guys suggest I do for this guy? Would Nutri Drench still be a good idea if his stomach is this upset? Sugar water maybe?

Also, what about the other chicks? I just changed their bedding this morning and that's when I noticed the sick chick. Should I change it again because of his vomit? Should I add Nutri Drench or Sav a Chick to their water?

I was thinking of going ahead and treating with miconazole antifungal cream as if it were sour crop. But do you guys think it is okay to treat a meat bird with an antifungal? I know it's illegal in the US to treat meat and egg chickens with antibiotics so I wondered if this would also be harmful to do.

Is treating with apple cider vinegar another option for sour crop treatment? I already have that at home.

Back
Top Bottom