Sick does

The doe with the kids is slowly eating again, but only coastal hay is what she wants. She was eating quite a bit of baking soda today.

So my momma doe had more diarrhea, I'm taking a stool sample to the vet today since it would be too hard to take her and her kids.

As for the doeling with the swollen face, the swelling went down some. I gave her a benadryl lastnight. But im gonna go ahead and take her to the vet.

Is there any chance the goat with the runs got too much grain? Enterotoxemia and or grain overload sometimes presents like that. In that case if she were mine, I would give her some clostridium perfingens antitoxin, some penicillin, and an antacid of some sort. It is also possible she has ketosis although goats usually get ketosis before kidding while cows get it after calving. The treatment for ketosis is propylene glycol. You can get some test strips from the drug store and check her urine. I think they are called ketostyx or something. They are what diabetics use to check their urine for ketones. The breath of an animal with ketosis usually has a chemical smell.

The one with the swollen head looks like it might be bottle jaw. Pull down the lower lid of her eye and check the color of the inside of the lid. Is it pale pink or worse, white? The pale color is an indication of anemia and in most cases the anemia is caused by worms. Bottle jaw is a true emergency caused by a heavy parasite load. If so she needs to be wormed ASAP. You might check with your vet to find out what wormers are effective in your area. As for insect bites, I did once have a goat with a swollen head. I think she had gotten stung by a wasp or bitten by a spider.

So my momma doe had more diarrhea, I'm taking a stool sample to the vet today since it would be too hard to take her and her kids.

As for the doeling with the swollen face, the swelling went down some. I gave her a benadryl lastnight. But im gonna go ahead and take her to the vet.
You might take a urine sample as well as a fecal sample. Maybe the vet can check it for ketones.

So the vet said my doeling with the swollen face has lots of worms and lice.

My other doe has worms and cocci. So the whole heard will be treated.

So the vet said my doeling with the swollen face has lots of worms and lice.

My other doe has worms and cocci. So the whole heard will be treated.
I forgot all about cocci. Glad you caught it. It can be devastating and it is very contagious. Treating the whole herd is the right thing to do.

Sad to say my doeling died today.
She was trying to eat her feed and started choking. I tried to help her clear her throat but nothing worked.

Back
Top Bottom