sick dog

gila_dog

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
New Mexico
My best buddy, a 13 yr old heeler cross, spent last week in the hospital with pancreatitis. This was brought on, I think, by eating a pizza he found. He survived, and came home, but still isn't eating anything. He drinks and pees ok, but won't eat anything. It's now 1 week since he ate anything and kept it down. He's weak and tired, but can walk around a bit. No fever.

Is he going to get over this? Will he start eating before he starves to death?

Try feeding him boiled chicken by hand. They make dietary supplements like Nutri-Cal and Nutri-Stat that come in a paste. It is a high calorie supplement chock full of vitamins and an appetite stimulant. Avoid anything greasy or spicey. Pancreatitis is an ugly and very painful condition that will come back if you are not very careful of what you feed him. It is time to start spoiling him and doing what ever it takes to get him to eat. Vets usually carry special diets for dogs with pancreatitis. You may want to ask your vet what he recommends. Good luck and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Oh, it's so painful to watch your babies (no matter how old) be ill. Call your vet & ask what can be done. I totally agree with the spoil him at any cost advice.

I had a dachshund that would have digestive disorder attacks and it would scare me to death. I do remember Science Diet had a canned food that I would feed her during those times and it was called Science Diet I/D...ask your vet about it because I think you have to get if from a vet. At least I did back when I had my dachsie. Also ask your vet about feeding boiled hamburger with rice. That was something I did as well.
Just remember, I'm not a vet so maybe ask yours before doing anything since your dog has been so seriously ill.

Definately be careful feeding him anything. With pancreatitis you can cause him to relapse even worse than the first time by pushing food. Since he is not eating on his own yet, I would take him to the vet and have them give fluids, not for the water, but for the sugar and saline his body needs. Also he should be on IV fluids until he is eating on his own. They should not have sent him home. It can take a week or two to get over it. Pancreatitis is a big deal. Please call your vet, if they do not want to do anything, I would get a second opinion. Do not force feed, you can cause more damage.

Please take you dog to the vet for treatment. He may need IV fluids and etc, to help him feel better, so he feels like trying to eat.

He does need NutriCal or NutriStat.

If you can't get him to the vet, be sure you remove the skin and bones from the boiled chicken. Dogs do not digest fat as well as we do. I have put the chicken in a blender or food processor and liquified it. Science Diet A/D is the high calorie formula. He needs that more than the I/D formula.

Your dog might hypo out. (Hypoglycemic-blood sugar drops from not eating in this case) Sugar and water or Syrup will help him.

Petie made it! He's eating again and going for short hikes. I was really scared. He didn't eat anything at all for 3 days after coming home from the vet. I was afraid he was going to just slowly starve to death.

I found that his temperature was normal (around 101.5 degrees) so I assumed that he didn't have any infection. The vet had given me a bottle of antibiotic pills and told me to give them to him twice a day for a week. But every time I gave him one he would vomit it up within 10 minutes. So I stopped giving them to him. Two days later he started eating a bit of chicken and rice. It's now about 10 days later and he's eating his dry dog food (basic Purina) and some canned chicken cat food. He lost about 20 lb (of his original 60) and is still a bit weak. But he's definitely on the mend. It's so good to be hanging out with my best buddy again, instead of having his funeral.

Lesson learned: don't give him anything fatty or spicey ever again!

Thanks everybody for your concern, advice, and care.

Here's a few pics of Petie.

petie5w.jpg

petieinsnow1w.jpg

petie-ebutte1d.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom