anatis_amare

Hatching
Apr 3, 2021
Hello everyone. Our 2-year-old female Welsh Harlequin, Churro, appears to be ill and hasn't been acting herself lately (for about the past 2-3 days). She has been quiet, lethargic, has ruffled feathers, and isn't eating or drinking too much. She seems to be a bit more active today and yesterday, but it's still not yet normal.

I am not sure if it is an issue with her crop. I've always been bad at determining whether it is full or impacted, but when she stands, she is kind of hunkered down with her wings by her side and her breast sticking out a bit. Pictures are included of her standing relaxed this morning, and then a top and front pic of her a few minutes ago. I don't notice any smells coming from her mouth.

Her poop has been varying a lot. Understandably, since her eating is so limited and her drinking is so sporadic. In the pictures I got of one of them yesterday, it was very watery (and green) and appeared to be diarrhea, which worries me because of dehydration. Then again, she hasn't been eating much of her normal food, but ate some romaine lettuce before passing that poop. Today when she came out (reluctantly), her poop looked normal and solid.

We mixed up a gallon of Sav-A-Chick Electrolytes and Probiotics, but of course, it's difficult to get them to drink that.

She was still laying eggs up until yesterday, even after showing these symptoms. Now she's not, but I assume that's because of not eating regularly.

She just looks kind of... depressed. Staring off, quiet, only poking around when her friend is. (Even Granite, her friend, seems antsy and upset by Churro acting like this.)

She is a tiny ducky who has been through a bit, but I'm still worried. She is 4.7 pounds as of this morning.

Is this something to be overly concerned about? Unfortunately, we do not have access to an Avian Vet. Even the closest one nearby is not accepting new patients due to COVID. I realize the symptoms are pretty vague, but help would be appreciated to allow us to do our best to treat her :hmm

Thank you.

Attachments

• Relaxed Stance.jpeg
    Relaxed Stance.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • This morning. solid.jpeg
    This morning. solid.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • yesterday. watery..jpeg
    yesterday. watery..jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • front view.jpeg
    front view.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • top. wings not as droopy in pic though..jpeg
    top. wings not as droopy in pic though..jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
Hello everyone. Our 2-year-old female Welsh Harlequin, Churro, appears to be ill and hasn't been acting herself lately (for about the past 2-3 days). She has been quiet, lethargic, has ruffled feathers, and isn't eating or drinking too much. She seems to be a bit more active today and yesterday, but it's still not yet normal.

I am not sure if it is an issue with her crop. I've always been bad at determining whether it is full or impacted, but when she stands, she is kind of hunkered down with her wings by her side and her breast sticking out a bit. Pictures are included of her standing relaxed this morning, and then a top and front pic of her a few minutes ago. I don't notice any smells coming from her mouth.

Her poop has been varying a lot. Understandably, since her eating is so limited and her drinking is so sporadic. In the pictures I got of one of them yesterday, it was very watery (and green) and appeared to be diarrhea, which worries me because of dehydration. Then again, she hasn't been eating much of her normal food, but ate some romaine lettuce before passing that poop. Today when she came out (reluctantly), her poop looked normal and solid.

We mixed up a gallon of Sav-A-Chick Electrolytes and Probiotics, but of course, it's difficult to get them to drink that.

She was still laying eggs up until yesterday, even after showing these symptoms. Now she's not, but I assume that's because of not eating regularly.

She just looks kind of... depressed. Staring off, quiet, only poking around when her friend is. (Even Granite, her friend, seems antsy and upset by Churro acting like this.)

She is a tiny ducky who has been through a bit, but I'm still worried. She is 4.7 pounds as of this morning.

Is this something to be overly concerned about? Unfortunately, we do not have access to an Avian Vet. Even the closest one nearby is not accepting new patients due to COVID. I realize the symptoms are pretty vague, but help would be appreciated to allow us to do our best to treat her :hmm

Thank you.
Oh no! I’m so sorry, I wish I could help but I don’t know much about ducks. Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Back
Top Bottom