Sick Duck, need Advice ASAP

Pics

WhoChick

Chirping
May 2, 2019
hello. I have a female pekin duck, we got her this spring as a ducking. Yesterday I noticed when she would preen she’d continually fall back on her butt, but she would still walk. Today she can’t walk at all. She is completely off balance. It’s like her equilibrium is off. She is still eating and drinking. I’ve added niacin to her water. Also added a probiotic and some electrolytes. I’ve called a local wildlife vet and am waiting for a call back. I love this duck. Any ideas? She’s the sweetest duck in the world. We got another duckling at same time as her, that one turned out to be a male. They love each other, but the male has been all over her. I read last night that when you have a male you should have at least 2-3 woman for him...we don’t, only bc we had no clue he was a boy until he was bigger and we already loved him! I just want them to be healthy and I’ll do anything to make that happen. Any advice appreciated.

Hi! Pekins need more niacin usually to keep their legs strong so they can hold up all that weight. Since she's already struggling, I'd go straight to B Complex vitamins. You can get this from most farm stores - it says injectable but you can put it over treats to feed orally. Once she's better, you can switch to nutritional yeast daily sprinkled over their food. Regarding the drake/duck ratio - yes Pekins have quite an appetite lol - so you should consider getting more females. That's how it started with me too - now I have 1:5. You wouldn't have to start with more ducklings - you could add other ducks that are > 4 months old - easy to find this time of year too. I hope the B complex works - keep us posted!

upload_2019-8-27_8-11-3.png

How long have you been adding the niacin? And what kind because time released and flush free will do nothing for a deficiency. Hopefully the vet will help. I’d start her on liquid b complex only because when there is already a problem it works better and faster. I'd also separate her from your drake but where they can still see each other so she has time to recover with out being pestered to mate. The one that @CrystaBub rec is the best.

Try putting seem apple cider vinegar in her water and get her to drink some. I have saved my birds from disease so many times using apple cider vinegar. Best of luck to you and your flock!

Hi! Pekins need more niacin usually to keep their legs strong so they can hold up all that weight. Since she's already struggling, I'd go straight to B Complex vitamins. You can get this from most farm stores - it says injectable but you can put it over treats to feed orally. Once she's better, you can switch to nutritional yeast daily sprinkled over their food. Regarding the drake/duck ratio - yes Pekins have quite an appetite lol - so you should consider getting more females. That's how it started with me too - now I have 1:5. You wouldn't have to start with more ducklings - you could add other ducks that are > 4 months old - easy to find this time of year too. I hope the B complex works - keep us posted!

View attachment 1890135
Thank you!
I took her to the vet this morning. They think* it may be botulism, but bc she improved overnight from my intervention, they think she will be okay. We’ve started her on antibiotics. They also gave her another deworming, just in case it’s a parasite. I’m continuing with the niacin on her food and probiotics/electrolytes in her water. I will order the B complex right now. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Never expected to fall in love with ducks. She is walking now, up to 10-12 steps before she gets clumsy again and falls. But yesterday she couldn’t walk at all, and this morning she was at 2-3 steps before falling, so already a big improvement.

I ordered the vitamin B complex. It will be here tomorrow. Just add to her water??
Personallyl I don't. I feel like is gets too diluted and ducks sling water all over the place so in order for the duck to get the full amount I'd put it over something she really likes to eat, mealworms, watermelon, tomatoes, melon, peas. You need her to get the full amount which if she loves the food and eats it all you know she's getting it all

Thank you!
I took her to the vet this morning. They think* it may be botulism, but bc she improved overnight from my intervention, they think she will be okay. We’ve started her on antibiotics. They also gave her another deworming, just in case it’s a parasite. I’m continuing with the niacin on her food and probiotics/electrolytes in her water. I will order the B complex right now. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Never expected to fall in love with ducks. She is walking now, up to 10-12 steps before she gets clumsy again and falls. But yesterday she couldn’t walk at all, and this morning she was at 2-3 steps before falling, so already a big improvement.

I am glad to hear your baby girl is doing better!! I have chickens and geese and this was my first year getting ducks. I didn’t know much about them and got them at the feed store in the “assorted ducks” pen. The first one I got was a tiny runner duckling, the second was this extremely large chested Pekin duckling. Both turned out to be drakes. I got three more runner ducks all drakes and I love them like you love your girl! “Donny Brassduck” our Pekin is HUGE! Watching him waddle behind all the runners is hilarious! He is the boss of everybody and I am so happy to have him. All of them were raised inside my house until big enough to go outside. Best of luck with your baby girl! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom