Sick duck

Farmerjim87

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2018
Ive got a 4-5 week old pekin duck thats had a problem for 2 weeks or so. I am unsure what's wrong. I have 6 other ducks and the sick one is noticeably smaller. It's hunched over all the time, will frequently rock flack and forth, seems to be unable to stand up straight. It's feathers don't appear to be coming in right. No obvious stopping problems, no blood. Continues to eat and grow, just not at the same pace as the others. It was not isolated from the others for at least the first week, so im not sure its an infectious process. I have been supplementing nicotinic acid in the water and brewers yeast in the food. I use Purina flock raiser. It also seems more lethargic, short of breath, and has markedly worse hearing than the others.

I've attached a pic. Any idea what's wrong? I can't imagine it's got niacin deficiency with the supplementation it's been gettibg. I've thought about coccidiosis but there's no diarrhea and none of my chickens or other ducks have it. I'm almost thinking it's got a neurologic or developmental issue. Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20180430_065341.jpg
    20180430_065341.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 21
Sorry to hear about your sick duckling. Could it be getting too much niacin? I know we usually have the opposite happen here on the duck forum. But, if it eats more than it's fair share?
I don't know. I am sure someone with more knowledge will be by soon to help.

Sorry to hear about your sick duckling. Could it be getting too much niacin? I know we usually have the opposite happen here on the duck forum. But, if it eats more than it's fair share?
I don't know. I am sure someone with more knowledge will be by soon to help.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't start niacin supplementation until after it became symptomatic so I don't think that's it. Since starting the supplementation it hasn't gotten any better or worse. Could be wrong though and I appreciate you reaching out

Can you post a picture of this duckling's poop, and can you post a video of the duckling? To post video, upload to YouTube or Vimeo then copy/paste the link here.

I just read all animals can get cocci. including water fowl.
This is true.
Ducks get duck coccidiosis, chickens get chicken coccididosis, turkeys get turkey coccidiosis, dogs get dog coccidiosis, cats get cat coccidiosis, cows get cow coccidiosis, etc.

Back
Top Bottom