Sick duck

Duckywaddles

Hatching
Jun 9, 2021
I got two ducks recently for my backyard (5 weeks ago). They were very active and healthy but as they are growing older, they just seem sickly to me. They have a pool and duck specific feed. We live in AZ and it is summer so it is hot, but we've hand poultry before and it wasnt an issue. One of my ducks specifically has lost his feathers on both wings and has a pale beak with reddish outline. I thought that he was just losing his down and maturing but its not coming back in. Any clues whats going on?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 14
We're feeding the DuMor chick starter/grower feed for chicks up to 10 weeks of age. They are also given organic peas and lettuce varieties.

Attachments

• IMG_3880.JPG
    IMG_3880.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 8
This is how he looked just 2 and 4 weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3271.JPG
    IMG_3271.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3423.JPG
    IMG_3423.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 8
We're feeding the DuMor chick starter/grower feed for chicks up to 10 weeks of age. They are also given organic peas and lettuce varieties.
Have you started adding niacin (I use brewers yeast) to their diet? They grow much quicker than chickens, and I read that they need niacin added to chick starter/ grower. I'm kinda new to duck raising, but have done lots of reading. I hope this helps.

Are they Muscovy? Ducklings that are all yellow go through a looking naked stage when they start losing their baby fluff and big feathers begin to grow. I would definitely start them on a niacin supplement. Nutritional yeast [not baking yeast] is really good to sprinkle over their feed at 1Tablespoon per cup of feed. They will need this until at least 10 weeks old. Larger breeds even longer.
@Duckywaddles

Last edited:
Are they Muscovy? Ducklings that are all yellow go through a looking naked stage when they start losing their baby fluff and big feathers begin to grow. I would definitely start them on a niacin supplement. Nutritional yeast [not baking yeast] is really good to sprinkle over their feed at 1Tablespoon per cup of feed. They will need this until at least 10 weeks old. Larger breeds even longer.
@Duckywaddles
Honestly.. I have no idea. We assumed they were just American Pekin ducks. We got them at a tractor supply. They had their egg tooth still in the first picture and lost them in the others. Seemed totally normal to us? I will see if I can get them some niacin. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom