Sick duck

Well I think that if you should really consider the costs before ordering baby ducklings - just because it can be a lot of set-up and care costs for all the supplies and takes a couple months of really supporting them in the brooder as they grow. Then they can't be near the male until they're 4 months old as they're not mature enough to mate with. So it's a bit of a long-haul thing. If you were able to obtain some full-grown females, that might be much easier and less expensive, plus you wouldn't have to worry about keeping your male separate from them for so long, since you're already having to deal with that and it's a stress on you and him. You're the one who ultimately has to make the decision as to her quality of life. If she's getting outside all day and you think both the ducks are happy and healthy as possible, that's your call. It's hard for me to think about my animals suffering. I had one pekin who went lame when she was about 2.5 years old. I carried her around place to place for about two months, but it became clear she wasn't going to get better and I just didn't want to see her living that life, but maybe others would wait longer. It's so hard to see these beautiful creatures suffer.

I know that but she is happy when she's in the pool and I don't mind carrying her around.. do you think she could get better when I get another female? Do you have any ideas on where I can get female ducks that are all ready grown up?

Yes to what Miss Lydia said. I don't think that other females will make her better, but it will take your male's attention off of her and give him other females to interact with.

Yes to what Miss Lydia said. I don't think that other females will make her better, but it will take your male's attention off of her and give him other females to interact with.i t

Yes to what Miss Lydia said. I don't think that other females will make her better, but it will take your male's attention off of her and give him other females to interact with.
We took the female duck up to the pool today and took the male I the heb house and she's swimming away and she got out and my granddaughter went down there and she was going to pet her like usual and she bit her she's never bit
any of us... I don't know what that's about.. have any idea? She bit her right in the face on her chin

Probably because she's not feeling well. One of my pekins who has the most docile personality got really sick last fall - we're not even sure what it was, but she was not doing well, and her personality changed in that she was clearly more irritable and would nip us if we tried to touch her.

Well we went to cedar point and stayed one night and the person we got to take care of our animals didn't take care of them...we left Thursday
Probably because she's not feeling well. One of my pekins who has the most docile personality got really sick last fall - we're not even sure what it was, but she was not doing well, and her personality changed in that she was clearly more irritable and would nip us if we tried to touch her.
Well we went to cedar point ... We left Thursday 16 around 2 and came home Friday 17 around 9...Thought we had someone to take care of our chickens and ducks and 4 baby kittens but we thought wrong..came home to a gone rooster and a couple of hens and my 2 female ducks... One gone kitty cat to!!! I was very upset!!! As you all know I had to carry my Pekin to bed at night and other places.. so I have had to try and deal with thinking that she was just sitting there waiting on me and instead something got her that took her short life!! It's very hard for me cuz this is my life , my chickens,ducks!!..I had to stop thinking about my misery and think about my male duck!! He is miserable and I have been trying to get a Female Duck but have had no luck.. So today we went and got 6 baby ducks that are 2 days old!!! I know my male can't wait 6 weeks ( is that how long)? Anyhow we are still looking for a female..I wanted to thank you all for helping me with my beautiful Pekin duck when I needed help!!!!

Well that's really sad! So sorry to hear that. No, I believe it's supposed to be 3-4 months before he is able to mate with the females without hurting them. Were you able to find duckling food? Make sure to add the brewer's or nutritional yeast to that as well for these ones so their legs grow nice and strong.

I am so sorry to hear of your losses. I never leave home unless it's just for the day I have no idea of any one I can trust. So sorry this happened.
Spend as much time as you can with him. you can also put a mirror in with him just secure it so it won't fall over on him. Usually 4 months old and up is a good time to put females with drakes. What breed are your new ducklings?

Kh
I am so sorry to hear of your losses. I never leave home unless it's just for the day I have no idea of any one I can trust. So sorry this happened.
Spend as much time as you can with him. you can also put a mirror in with him just secure it so it won't fall over on him. Usually 4 months old and up is a good time to put females with drakes. What breed are your new ducklings?

Back
Top Bottom