Sick duckie

Thank you!
So should I be keeping him warm with a lamp?
And we had our first good poop!
Black watery and little tannish green
Poop is a good thing, and sling looks good too. Does he act like he's hot when under the heat lamp? if not then watch the temps you don't want to over heat but you don't want him to chill either. Don't you think if he had a disease you'd be seeing it in your other ducks by now? Just thinking out loud.

Oh thank-you Lord!!!! Okay my friend, spent the afternoon brainstorming with my bud. Your guy made it through the day, this is so awesome, I can't even tell you how happy this makes me!

Now The toxin is breaking down the liver at this point and probably already starting to hit the kidneys as well. The Turmeric has some antioxidant properties, but I'm thinking not enough right now. My advice is this...add in the turmeric as you are, to the Super B complex and the Durvet Vitamins. If you have any Cod Liver Oil capsules that you would take add one of those as well. For the supportive care now, you are going to need the antioxidants to help with the break down that is going on. I have to research the iron issue for you as well, as this was something else discussed. Chances are the blood is also not up to where it should be, bird not eating and most poultry vites don't have an iron source in them. You're fine right now but it's something that will need to be addressed. I believe there are trace elements of it in both the Cod Liver Oil and Turmeric. Is it enough? No way of knowing until I search.

I need to go take care of my critters now before it gets dark. The evening chores take about 2 hours. I will be back.

Last edited:
CB-Man, it is my humble opinion that if you follow the above advice, you will not be very happy with the results. In your first post you stated that the Vet, you were able to see, thought this was Botulism. As I currently have a recovering duck myself, from the symptoms you've brought up, I would have to agree. I saw a few of the same with my own girl. My concern now would be the stopping of the activated charcoal. This is the antitoxin that you have available to you. If you were to stop the antitoxin, the toxins are going to have a field day in your ducks system, beyond what they have already had. If you look deeper into the botulism and how it affects the body, you will see it is already killing the liver and it is also hitting the kidneys. Both organs are working overtime trying to purge the system of the poison from the Botulism and on top of that, the poisons from the dying tissues from these organs. I think, having spoken with you, you can take it from there.

This is your duck and I would never try to 'make' you treat it in a way you're not comfortable with. You have the care of this animal and have to make the ultimate choices. I would ask you to do some research on your own and find as much information as YOU possibly can before you make anymore changes in this poor thing's intake right now.

Timeline:
Last Friday noticed he was slower than the others. Waddling back and forth when he walked more than other ducks and laid down when they stopped and rest stood

Saturday: same thing noticed in pool he leaned to one side and couldn't stand up in water can't preen or flap wings.

Sunday: same thing. Began giving niacin and brewers yeast.

Monday: laying down alot not following the flock. Walking very little. Falling over on his side rolling to his back. Monday we isolated him in the big barn in a pen. Still eating and drinking well. Giving niacin brewers yeast and complex B

Tuesday: took him to the vet. She did physical exam that's it. Vet gave him a Vit B shot and Amoxicillin script.
First dose when we got home.

Wednesday: still eating and drinking well. Still giving niacin in water brewers yeast complex B and amox. Falling over more and flailing around. Moved him inside 3ft by 3ft pen with blankets and towels to keep shaving out if water and food. Still eating and drinking inside.

Thursday: looked good in the morning. Got home from work he was on his back feet stretched out. Went to get charcoal and gave 3 capsules in a tablespoon of water. Giving water by syringe no Amoxicillin Thursday night. Stayed up all last night holding him in my arms. No sleep. Giving water all night.

Friday: amoxicillin AM. Got home from work he was on his side legs out straight. Gave charcoal amoxicillin stringing water and complex b drops.
Made sling to keep him calm and up right.
I hate seeing him on his back or side.
What can happen if they are on there back to long?

Now he is relaxing in sling. It's 75 degrees in the house. I put him under the lamp off and on.

Last edited:
I really do appreciate the help haunted. I'm not changing anything at the moment. I am welcoming all info here. I used to work at a vet clinic so the charcoal make sense to me. The turmeric kinda worried me.
I would like to get him eating again.
I know the vet said botulism but there are so many illnesses in diseases. I thought pasteurella the vet said botulism.
I'm interested to see what blackberry has to say.
Too much charcoal is bad. Most animals vomit it back up I don't believe ducks will.

Blackberry Hill: answers to your questions.

He is not currently eating. Put his bill in food and nothing.
He seams to be trying to drink when I hold water up to him but he is not throwing his head back to swallow like normal.
He was eating and drinking on Wednesday night for sure. He is eating Purina flock raiser.
Home from work Thursday he was on his back.
Siezures got bad Thursday.
No eating or drinking since Thursday during the day.

I already gave charcoal today. See above 2 capsules. He poop after that.
I'm in the dark here and going with info I am getting from those that have been through it.

I have durvet electrolytes and vitamin powder from TSC.
Also have horse electrolytes in the barn.
Dumor brand.
He was weak before seizures so I am guessing he still is. But seams strong when he seizes.
You ask what I mean by seizure.
When he is placed on his feet he almost immediately pushes back until he falls over backwards or over on his side then keeps pushing his legs straight out.
This start Tuesday but not very bad. It got worse.he relaxed when you cradle him and let his feet hang. Thus why I didn't sleep last night. I held him. So he is relaxed in the sling with and occasional tense moment.
Also with the seizing his neck is all over the place mostly tucked down into his chest.

I have had the ducks close to 9 weeks.
The rest seem fine.
This guy is the runt.

Other animals. 2 chicks close to same age in the same pen.
I have 1 barn cat.

None seem to have any issues.

It is 75 degrees in my house

Very important to keep him hydrated w electrolytes in sugar water to give him some strength. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom