SICK DUCKLINGS?? HELP!!

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
I got my pekin ducklings about 3 weeks ago. About 1-2 weeks ago I noticed that they got red eyes. I looked it up and it said it was because they aren’t able to wash their eyes. Since then I started to bath them more and take them to the lake at least once a day. Their red eyes went away for a while but now it’s back. Also, I’ve noticed that they start breathing fast/heavily and sometimes start panting. It usually goes away after if sprinkle some cool water on them or give them cool water. I’ve also noticed that when I pick them up they breath you can hear the air coming out of them (like if their nose were to be clogged.) I just also heard one sneeze or cough i’m not sure if it was a sneeze or cough because since I got them they sneezed but their sneezing doesn’t normally sound like that. They’ve been sneezing since they were babies but I thought it was normal for them to sneeze (like we do every once and a while) About 3 days ago I also saw mucus come out of their nose. The snot was clear like water and mostly liquidy. However, they have no signs of distress. They eat, swim, they are playfully and are active. Have any ideas of what they have? And how to help them?

PLEASE HELP! I don’t want my little ducklings to die 🥺.

I got my pekin ducklings about 3 weeks ago. About 1-2 weeks ago I noticed that they got red eyes. I looked it up and it said it was because they aren’t able to wash their eyes. Since then I started to bath them more and take them to the lake at least once a day. Their red eyes went away for a while but now it’s back. Also, I’ve noticed that they start breathing fast/heavily and sometimes start panting. It usually goes away after if sprinkle some cool water on them or give them cool water. I’ve also noticed that when I pick them up they breath you can hear the air coming out of them (like if their nose were to be clogged.) I just also heard one sneeze or cough i’m not sure if it was a sneeze or cough because since I got them they sneezed but their sneezing doesn’t normally sound like that. They’ve been sneezing since they were babies but I thought it was normal for them to sneeze (like we do every once and a while) About 3 days ago I also saw mucus come out of their nose. The snot was clear like water and mostly liquidy. However, they have no signs of distress. They eat, swim, they are playfully and are active. Have any ideas of what they have? And how to help them?

PLEASE HELP! I don’t want my little ducklings to die 🥺.
Your ducks need water. All ducks need constant water. Not to swim in, but to clear their nasal cavities and keep them moist. That is most likely the problem. Get them a very large container or a kiddie pool and fill it with water, and it should clear up. I don’t own ducks so I’m going off what I’ve heard and what I’ve read, but what I know to be true. Ducks don’t HAVE to have water to swim in, they need it to keep their nasal cavities moist and clean, along with their eyes. If the problem doesn’t clear up, take them to the vet. Let’s see what others say; but for now it would be a wise decision to find a large container or pool to put water in. They need it.

Something like this where they can dunk their heads but not climb into.
CAC4DAFE-BA4C-4D15-91A7-245E2FA2FBB6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom