Sick/dying chicks

Delaneygraces

Certified Procrastinator
5 Years
Jan 14, 2018
Illinois
Hello! In the past two weeks I’ve lost two chicks, both having the same condition, and I’ve noticed one has been acting slow/fluffed feathers for a few days, then today one of the more active chicks belonging to a hen was sitting on the garage floor all alone, not chirping for mom. He was puffed up, but didn’t stay like that when I put him with mom, but continued acting strange and wanting to hunch up or walk away and stand alone, and moving very slowly and not hopping into his pen when mom clucked . He was not like this 1 hour ago when I let them out.
Would mixing an electrolyte pack into their waters help whatever is going on? The two that died last week were a month old OEGB, the one that’s been puffed up for a few days is an OEGB and the one that suddenly starting acting sick is a modern Game.
All I have on hand are electrolyte packs and probiotic packs (I put those in waters on Saturday)

Thank you!

What do droppings look like? At that age with those symptoms coccidiosis is common. Droppings may or may not be bloody, will often be runny or mucousy. Sitting hunched up and being lethargic are very common symptoms. Treatment is Corid, available at Tractor Supply or many feed stores, in the cattle section. It can be powder or liquid (most find the liquid to be more convenient if they have it). Dosage chart is below, use the severe outbreak dosing. Start treatment right away, it can progress to death quickly. Medicated water has to be the only water available during treatment and do not give vitamin supplements while treating. Give any that are having symptoms an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

This is the sick modern that just starting acting this way earlier today. If it makes any difference, this is one of two chicks that had nits (lice from mom at time of hatch) on their heads. (I have permethrin I have treated them with twice). The second one that had them is healthy though.

59492064-C89C-4206-94E5-A525163B01B4.jpeg

In comparison to his healthy, same age/breed sibling.
877A3D55-AF12-4FDA-A662-3C8EFB2F29F7.jpeg

This is the OEGB that has been fluffed up a bit and a little pale for the past week, I had assumed the fluffed feathers were from aging, but it doesn’t seem likely anymore. Her mom has a naturally pale grey face, as do most of the breed/coloration.
BBAE223E-C3FF-450C-94F2-B07C7A39F226.jpeg

Hello! In the past two weeks I’ve lost two chicks, both having the same condition, and I’ve noticed one has been acting slow/fluffed feathers for a few days, then today one of the more active chicks belonging to a hen was sitting on the garage floor all alone, not chirping for mom. He was puffed up, but didn’t stay like that when I put him with mom, but continued acting strange and wanting to hunch up or walk away and stand alone, and moving very slowly and not hopping into his pen when mom clucked . He was not like this 1 hour ago when I let them out.
Would mixing an electrolyte pack into their waters help whatever is going on? The two that died last week were a month old OEGB, the one that’s been puffed up for a few days is an OEGB and the one that suddenly starting acting sick is a modern Game.
All I have on hand are electrolyte packs and probiotic packs (I put those in waters on Saturday)

Thank you!

Do you have Corid? It sounds like they may have developed coccidiosis. It wouldn't hurt them at all to start them on it. I would drench the one(s) acting actively lethargic and give Corid water to the entire flock and ensure that the Corid water is the ONLY source of drinking water.

Would mixing an electrolyte pack into their waters help whatever is going on?
No, sorry for your losses. :(

Go get the Corid... often in the cattle section and treat as suggested. Make sure no vitamins are supplemented during treatment for coccidiosis... which all symptoms point to. It can be deadly fast.

Good catching the lice!

:fl

Thank you all for your help!! I can’t make it to town until possibly late tomorrow afternoon, or Thursday, hopefully they’ll be fine until then!!

What do droppings look like? At that age with those symptoms coccidiosis is common. Droppings may or may not be bloody, will often be runny or mucousy. Sitting hunched up and being lethargic are very common symptoms. Treatment is Corid, available at Tractor Supply or many feed stores, in the cattle section. It can be powder or liquid (most find the liquid to be more convenient if they have it). Dosage chart is below, use the severe outbreak dosing. Start treatment right away, it can progress to death quickly. Medicated water has to be the only water available during treatment and do not give vitamin supplements while treating. Give any that are having symptoms an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
View attachment 1809315
Thank you! The two that had died previously had runny poop died all over their bottom andstomache. The modern is acting better Todsy, but I noticed an OEGB straining, and he has runny droppings as well. I’ve made it my priority to go to rural king no matter what, and want to make sure i’m Getting the right things? The oral solution to put directly into their mouth, and the soluble powder to mix into waters?

4A34F29E-0206-4693-8ACD-20349868A7D1.jpeg BCA4A61B-FFA0-4939-83CB-CEBD03E566A6.jpeg

Also, besides medication, what type of cleaning/sanitizing should I do to remove any of the disease from the coop, if any? If I do need to clean, would it have to be ASAP, or would I be able to put it off for a few days, as I just treated the pens for lice and don’t want that treatment to go to waste, unless this is necessary because removing something deadly trumps removing the lice.
I also have 14 chicks in the indoor brooder, even if they don’t have cocci, would it do any harm to give them medicated water as well?Thank you for your help!

You can use either the powder or the liquid for both oral dosing and in the water, get whichever they have. Most people find the liquid more convenient to use, but either will work equally well. Dosing for the oral drench is in the link I gave before, you can use either form, the liquid just has to be measured, the powder would need to be mixed first.
Keep waterers and feeders clean and free from droppings, keep droppings cleaned up as much as possible, keep bedding dry, that will help prevent the spread. It's impossible to eradicate the coccidia completely from the environment, but you can reduce the risk. They can also be spread on shoes or clothing from pen to pen. The corid won't hurt the chicks, whether to treat them or not is up to you. If you see any signs of lethargy or questionable droppings I would treat.

You can use either the powder or the liquid for both oral dosing and in the water, get whichever they have. Most people find the liquid more convenient to use, but either will work equally well. Dosing for the oral drench is in the link I gave before, you can use either form, the liquid just has to be measured, the powder would need to be mixed first.
Keep waterers and feeders clean and free from droppings, keep droppings cleaned up as much as possible, keep bedding dry, that will help prevent the spread. It's impossible to eradicate the coccidia completely from the environment, but you can reduce the risk. They can also be spread on shoes or clothing from pen to pen. The corid won't hurt the chicks, whether to treat them or not is up to you. If you see any signs of lethargy or questionable droppings I would treat.
Thank you! I’ll get just the liquid, it will be easier and cheaper then to get both, thankfully!

Here’s some pictures of the newly sick one, I know the diarrhea does, but does the bloated bottom and smaller/stuck out vent have to do with cocci, or is this something else?
80754FA9-51BC-4CCF-9296-FEE2DC62B020.jpeg
CE2761B3-4803-4BA9-8080-CB35C7AC00A4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom