Sick Easter Egger - maybe respiratory

RRLaney

Songster
May 1, 2016
Bastrop, TX
I feel like it's always something. We've had our very first few cold days and nights (in the 40s/50s) in Texas this year and I'm wondering if that's just putting a lot of stress on my girls' immune systems.

A few weeks ago a handful of our chickens got dry fowl pox. We dealt with it last year and the ones who had it last year didn't show any symptoms this time around. I know it lowers the immune system so I've been changing the drinking water twice as often and supplementing with vitamins and plain yogurt. But everyone seems to be recovering fine and almost all of the pox are gone.

We recently had a cockerel with symptoms of coccidia as well so we treated the whole flock with Corrid about a week and a half ago. Everyone has seemed fine since.

Also, we wormed recently (very beginning of October).

Needless to say, I feel like we've been on top of things.

***CURRENT PROBLEM***

Last night while I was at work my boyfriend sent me a text saying my approximately 8 month old Easter Egger Jenna has one of her eyes shut. He washed it with saline and let her go to bed.

When I let the chickens out of the coop this morning, Jenna, who is normally the first to run out of the coop and eat, stayed behind on the roost. I picked her up (which she NEVER lets me do) and she had green poop stuck to her butt. And her left eye is very swollen.

I set up a crate in the garage with food, water and yogurt and she didn't touch it which is very unlike her.

I also noticed her shaking her head and it looks like she has mucous on her beak that she is shaking off.

She also pooped in the crate and it was watery - clear and white.

We have never really dealt with respiratory problems in our flock (if that's what this is), so I'm not sure where to go from here.

We rubbed warm VetRx on her head, beak, and under her wings and put some Terramycin ointment around her eye. We have Tylan 50 (injectable) on hand, but I'm not sure what this is or if that's the right treatment. If anyone has any ideas or advice about what to do next I'd really love to save this chicken.

She's a feed store chicken and I'm not sure she's been vaccinated for anything.

Also, the rest of the flock looks fine, but I'm assuming whatever Jenna has is contagious. Is there anything I need to be doing to treat the whole flock for prevention?

Thanks in advance!

Last night:
Sick Jenna 1.jpeg

After VetRx this morning:
Sick Jenna 2.jpeg

I had a chicken with something similar to this. I was afraid it was Mycoplasma but I think it was just a respiratory infection. Tylan injectable cleared it right up. I can't remember the dosage I used but I found it on here. I quarantined the sick bird for a month and treated the rest of the flock with water soluble antibiotics to be safe. No sickness since.

Edit to add: The link from my sick chicken post https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ollen-eye-and-rattled-breathing-pics.1195647/

First off Chickens can not digest dairy so yogurt is causing her the poops...A sick bird needs water more than feed and a warm place...Yes, stress from cold can bring out hidden disease the flock carries as Chickens carry many diseases...

First off Chickens can not digest dairy so yogurt is causing her the poops...A sick bird needs water more than feed and a warm place...Yes, stress from cold can bring out hidden disease the flock carries as Chickens carry many diseases...

Ohh, good to know. I've always read it's good to give them yogurt. But Jenna has not eaten any yogurt today or very recently so I'm not sure that's what is causing the watery poop. It was mostly clear liquid.

She has access to water, but hasn't been drinking. I am going to try and drip water onto her beak with a syringe to see if she'll drink some.

Hello RRlaney,

I know what you mean, if ain't one thing it's another. But, this is the reality of keeping chickens. They are subject to many dangers and illnesses, just by their nature. But if you pump up their immune systems with probiotics and herbs, they will be able to fight off many things on their own.

Your girl may indeed have an upper respiratory infection,how many symptoms does she have? Is she wheezing, sneezing, mucous discharge from nostrils?

I would also, like to know if her ear lobe is usually white like it appears in the first photo? It's important...because if she has a fungal/yeast infection, and not a URI; antibiotics can make things worse.

Swelling under the eyes can be from either condition also.

Do a close exam on her, and write down any symptoms or suspicious things you notice.
Then, the posters here on BYC will be able to do a more accurate diagnosis.

It's is good that she is isolated.

God Bless!

Aspiration can happen...Get her warmed up in a crate inside your house for a few hours...You can buy probiotics at pet stores for parrots it's better than yogurt...Once a Bird shows symptoms of illness it means they are really sick....I Cull sick birds....

I had a chicken with something similar to this. I was afraid it was Mycoplasma but I think it was just a respiratory infection. Tylan injectable cleared it right up. I can't remember the dosage I used but I found it on here. I quarantined the sick bird for a month and treated the rest of the flock with water soluble antibiotics to be safe. No sickness since.

Edit to add: The link from my sick chicken post https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ollen-eye-and-rattled-breathing-pics.1195647/

Very helpful, thanks! Did you end up doing that lab testing?

I have Tylan 50 so I'll have to confirm that dosage for sure. What water soluble antibiotics did you use?

And did you end up culling or permanently quarantining? Or is your hen back with the flock?

Hello RRlaney,

I know what you mean, if ain't one thing it's another. But, this is the reality of keeping chickens. They are subject to many dangers and illnesses, just by their nature. But if you pump up their immune systems with probiotics and herbs, they will be able to fight off many things on their own.

Your girl may indeed have an upper respiratory infection,how many symptoms does she have? Is she wheezing, sneezing, mucous discharge from nostrils?

I would also, like to know if her ear lobe is usually white like it appears in the first photo? It's important...because if she has a fungal/yeast infection, and not a URI; antibiotics can make things worse.

Swelling under the eyes can be from either condition also.

Do a close exam on her, and write down any symptoms or suspicious things you notice.
Then, the posters here on BYC will be able to do a more accurate diagnosis.

It's is good that she is isolated.

God Bless!

Just checked on her again.

She is shaking her head a lot and it looks like mucous is flying from her mouth or nostrils.

I don't hear any wheezing. No sneezing either.

Her earlobes look normal to me.

Her tail is drooped down.

Still watery poop, but a normal poop too.

She is walking around a little bit, seems mildly lethargic, but nothing compared to the chickens I've seen with coccidia.

Eyes are open, but the left one is still very swollen.

That's about it as far as symptoms go.

OK, so we can rule out intestinal illness.

Her facial swelling is very concerning, discharge from nostrils also.

Does the discharge have any odor? If it does, she may have Coryza.

Her watery poop, is most likely due to no food, and even a low fever from illness, which is causing her body to try and cool down by evacuating liquid.

The previous poster is correct, the hen does need water. You should be able to monitor her water intake now that she is in a hospital crate. Offer her some grapes, watermelon or other wet fruits. These will help to stimulate appetite and hydrate too. Another trick to hydrate, is to add some apple juice to the water.

OK, so we can rule out intestinal illness.

Her facial swelling is very concerning, discharge from nostrils also.

Does the discharge have any odor? If it does, she may have Coryza.

Her watery poop, is most likely due to no food, and even a low fever from illness, which is causing her body to try and cool down by evacuating liquid.

The previous poster is correct, the hen does need water. You should be able to monitor her water intake now that she is in a hospital crate. Offer her some grapes, watermelon or other wet fruits. These will help to stimulate appetite and hydrate too. Another trick to hydrate, is to add some apple juice to the water.

I don't smell any odor. Hopefully that's a good thing.

Gonna run across the street and get this girl some watermelon and maybe some apple juice. I have to leave for work in about an hour and I won't be home until after midnight. Is there anything else I need to do before I go that can't wait till the morning?

I know she's not diagnosed yet, but if I'm going to inject with Tylan 50 today it'll need to be soon.

Thanks for all your help by the way.

Back
Top Bottom