Sick faveroll hen , please help!!!

bird

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Oregon
She is gasping for air and I can see some growth next to her tongue. Every breath is an effort for her with wheezes. I am afraid that I can lose her. She tries to eat and drink, but the growth is on the way. See the pics

25935_val_043.jpg

i'm afraid there may not be much you can do for her if it is a growth unless you do surgery and quickl..

have you checked her over for other symptoms? is she laying eggs yet? if not could she be egg bound and have you checked under her for lumps in the abdomen? is her belly warm? if it is she could have an infection from the egg either being bound or broken inside her. chickens when egg bound can have heavy panting from trying to push it out!

Thanks for your attention. She is not laying eggs - her comb is pink, not red. She is light weight...

Last edited:
there are a few other items you might want to include so others may be able to help you out. how old is she? what are you feeding her? is she a bantam or LF hen/pullet? are you currently treating her with anything else?

have you already tried poking at the mass to make sure it isn't food that has stuck to her inside of the mouth?

if it is gape worm i know it can be removed but i have never done that before. and someone else may be able to walk you through it if that is the problem.

The hen is 2 or 3 years old. They have hen scratch, grass. She is a bantam hen. I am giving vitamins, antibiotic Oxytetracycline. Yesterday I gave her Wazine 17 for worms...Today she doesn't want to eat and drink.

i'm sorry i haven't been on here in a couple days. is she still ok?

if she is still around i think you might be able to help her eat something if you have an eye dropper. i've given my sick birds a mix of yogurt and some water to help make it thinner and just drop some on the beak to see if they'll take it. if they don't at first i will usually try to get it down their throat for them.

She is getting worse...I am giving with syringe vitamins, but she is gasping non stop...I think I am going to lose her...The lump in her mouth is something I don't have clue what it is - maybe cancer!
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom