Sick female Chinese goose soft egg

valf

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
About four days ago my two year old female started throwing up the grass she just ate in the yard where she always eats. This lasted about an hour with repeated visiting and drinking water and vomiting again. Once she stopped throwing up greens and water she seemed to settle down and ate some grain without incident. The episode seemed to pass with no explanation and she was back to normal. I don't know if it was vomiting or regurgitation but it was kind of violent looking with her shaking her head frantically and expelling her contents. But it ended and she seemed great and eating normally. Today in the morning she was so lethargic and expelled lots of egg material and after a warm bath came out a deflated soft eggshell. She spent the whole day laying on her pillow in the house and not wanting to go outside. She ate almost nothing but seemed to drink normal amounts. I don't know if the vomiting and egg troubles are connected but these things happened and wmare unusual. She has been laying about every other day and as summer progresses her normal pattern is to stop laying and start molting. We gave her a couple large handfuls of salad mix which definitely included spinach which I read can deplete her of calcium. She has access to oyster shell daily. Now with her not eating I can't get the oyster shell in her. I just took a duck to the vet and he had a stomach mass on an X-ray and was put down. The experience at the vet was good but they didn't seem totally equipped to deal with a duck and I am not sure they will be able to help. Although they did find a mass...and ended his suffering. I will take her to the vet tomorrow if her condition worsens but I am so worried and it's so late I just hope someone will read and maybe have a similar experience. Right now she is still laying on her pillow while her gander is gobbling food (purina game bird feed). She is lovingly responsive and gives hugs but walks slow, moves little...and is eating nothing
1f62d.png
. She ate a little bit of her favorite apple today and a couple dandelion leaves but is absolutely refusing her regular feed. She had a similar egg experience but recovered within a couple hours once the shell was out. I'm so worried...if she dies we will have lost a beloved family member and j can't even imagine what her gander will do...any advice at all will mean the world to me. Thanks for reading.

She definitely seems better-Perrier and more vocal but now she has gone into her egg house where she goes to lay eggs. On the heels of a soft egg I'm not sure what's going on and I'm biting all my nails off

Is it maybe possible she's gone broody she is sitting on her dummy egg we use to encourage laying I this house

Back
Top Bottom