Sick feral chick pooped out a long white worm

I took her to the vet yesterday. The vet that we were seeing previously was unavailable so I had to see a different vet. He said her eyes are so swollen that she cannot even see and kept pushing euthanasia. I refused (and I understand this is a controversial opinion). I told him that I would consider euthanasia if she was in so much pain that she was quiet, listless, not eating or drinking. But right now she still gets extremely excited about food and drinks, will eagerly come to cuddle with us, respond when I call her name and very much enjoys sleeping under the heat lamp. I don't want to euthanize an animal that clearly wants to live and has the will to live. He was very unhappy with my answer.

He started changing his narrative and said that Avian Pox is very contagious and it would be irresponsible not euthanize her when it can threaten the native bird population. I responded that she is living indoors. He said transmission is still possible if a mosquito comes inside, bites, and goes outside ???? Like yes, that is technically possible, but the chances of that happening are so minuscule that it doesn't justify putting down an animal ??? I really did not appreciate how he portrayed my action as some kind of environmental terrorism when I'm just trying to save a damn chicken. He said, also even if she gets better, I can't sign off the veterinary health inspection to take her back to your state. I gritted my teeth and said, I don't care. That is not my biggest concern right now. Can you treat the tapeworm. At this point I think he gave up. We left with three 0.1ml doses of Panacur, meant to be given in 3 consecutive days.

Anyway, remember when he said her eyes are very swollen? It is partly due to the pox, but mainly because she is scratching her eye area nonstop. So I was looking into her eyes and noticed there are actually tiny little worms in her eyes. I think that's why she's been scratching it so often, because it bothers her. I wanted to take her back to the vet but didn't want to argue with that asshole again about why I should just put her down instead.... So I diluted a tiny bit of prescribed Panacur in some contact lens disinfecting solution and put it into her eyes. Wow. It's been a few hours and the difference is like night and day. She still scratches, but every so often instead of every 10~20 seconds. I'm going to try another dose in the afternoon.

Lastly, the Panacur seems to be working well for the tapeworm. We gave her the first dose last night and this morning she has pooped out at least 5 long tapeworm segments. She still has voracious appetite and will gobble up anything we give her. She still responds to her name and will will come cuddle with us. So we are hopeful. Fingers crossed.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for reading.

Last edited:
So you plan to bring this bird home(?) to what state/country?

We are in Hawaii for a vacation. We were planning to bring her back to Seattle, and put in the request for the necessary tests for her to fly during our last appointment (bird flu, salmonella). Avian pox is not on the list of prohibited illnesses for poultry import, but the bird should be in a healthy condition ideally, which she is not. It is not my biggest concern at the moment. I'm more concerned about her prognosis

We are in Hawaii for a vacation. We were planning to bring her back to Seattle, and put in the request for the necessary tests for her to fly during our last appointment (bird flu, salmonella). Avian pox is not on the list of prohibited illnesses for poultry import, but the bird should be in a healthy condition ideally, which she is not. It is not my biggest concern at the moment. I'm more concerned about her prognosis
Do you have chickens at home?

I've got some good news for those who are wondering. The avian vet that I was originally seeing called me back today. She said that the test results to "import poultry" to my state came back, and Olivia (our chicken) has tested negative for the prohibited diseases which is great. Olivia still has to be healthy to fly, so once her pox clears up she will run another test for Avian Pox, and when there are no traces of the virus left she is willing to draft the veterinary health certificate for travel.

I actually started bawling on the phone and told her how awful I felt about her terribly swollen eyes and that I saw little worms crawling in and out of them. She told me that my reasoning made sense and prescribed 2 additional meds - one for swelling/inflammation and another for her eye worms. I want to share them just in case someone else is having similar problems with their chicken. Please keep in mind that this dosage is for a young chicken that is very underweight.

1. For inflammation: Meloxicam Liquid 1.5mg/ml - Give 0.1cc by mouth twice daily as needed for pain/inflammation
2. For eye worms: Ivomec 1% Injection - Place 1 drop in each eye once. Repeat in 1 week if eye worms still noted.

Both medications seem to be working well so far. I will post some updates in the near future on her status.

Last edited:
I noticed that none of the vets mentioned to you that your chick will be immune to that particular strain of fowl pox once she recovers.

Now you know why your chick was a chowhound, tapeworms.
Once you get back home, I highly recommend dosing your chick with Equimax equine paste containing praziquantel as Casportpony stated earlier. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I noticed that none of the vets mentioned to you that your chick will be immune to that particular strain of fowl pox once she recovers.
Actually the meaner* vet told me that it's "impossible"(his words) to sign the health certificate because even if my chicken recovers, the virus will stay inside her and come back out when she is stressed......???? I was like, you know poxvirus is not like herpes simplex...... I believe he was purposely lying to get me to euthanize her. He also said other questionable things like, I would need multiple screens in my house to prevent bugs from entering the house and spreading it to wild birds.. idk. I tried to be as polite as possible but he was generally very unpleasant to interact with and towards the end I did lose a bit of patience.

Now you know why your chick was a chowhound, tapeworms.
Once you get back home, I highly recommend dosing your chick with Equimax equine paste containing praziquantel as Casportpony stated earlier. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks so much for the advice. Will definitely look into it once she is healthy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom