Sick feral chick pooped out a long white worm

Hello. I think your story is incredible because I had two equally sick babies, but only one survived because I wasn't knowledgable fast enough to save him. I just want to say that if your rescue does become blind, she can still live a wonderful life. I have had a blind chicken for almost a year. He is my favorite pet ever. He just needs to have a regular routine and some special eating accomodations. But, I hope she gets her sight, she deserves to live a normal life.

Hello. I think your story is incredible because I had two equally sick babies, but only one survived because I wasn't knowledgable fast enough to save him. I just want to say that if your rescue does become blind, she can still live a wonderful life. I have had a blind chicken for almost a year. He is my favorite pet ever. He just needs to have a regular routine and some special eating accomodations. But, I hope she gets her sight, she deserves to live a normal life.

Hi @Banana01, I am so sorry about your roo that passed away. You did the best you could do given the circumstances and I hope you know that none of it is your fault.

I completely agree with you, even if she does go blind, I believe I can still take care of her and make sure she lives a happy and fulfilling life. But I'm really hoping that she'll regain her vision because her mobility is drastically reduced while blind due to her anxiety of stepping into the unknown.

On another note, if anyone else is reading this, I just want to point out that my chicken's recovery case is exceptional due to the following circumstances that are unique to mine:
  1. She is my only chicken, and I've been keeping her indoors. I only had to worry about her.
  2. I study (human) pathology/pharmacology and hoard lots and lots of medications and supplements. I had tons of resources on hand. There is a lot that I didn't mention in the original thread but she had a neverending list of symptoms pop up at one point. Every time I treated one of her symptoms another popped up (ex. dry pox -> sour crop -> eye infections -> weight loss -> tapeworm -> eye worms -> diarrhea and green feces -> wet pox -> extreme facial swelling/eye gunk -> black feces -> raspy breath -> lethargy and curled feet -> gassy/balloon crop -> gasping for air -> more tapeworms etc.) As a result, I was rotating between 20+ medications and supplements, and more on top of that to prevent liver & kidney damage due to the sheer amount of drugs I was giving her.
  3. I work a desk job that allows me to work remotely, so I've literally had her next to me at all times, watching her symptoms like a hawk. I was looking down her throat, massaging her crop, weighing her, and sifting through her poop while dialing into meetings.
  4. I have no other responsibilities/obligations such as family, kids, or pets to take care of. Well, I have a pet chicken now.... :)
Most people would not be able to do what I did simply because their circumstances are vastly different to mine, and their priorities would be different as well. And that is completely understandable. I sincerely hope I didn't mislead anyone to feel guilty because they had a similar situation that turned out differently.

:love:bow I just read through this thread and I’m so happy this chicken found a life with you!
Thank you for sharing this experience with us, it adds to the body of knowledge and experience for those of us here. Hopefully it also planted a seed at the vet’s office too! Have you thought about emailing them with photos of her improvement? If nothing else maybe the next chicken brought in MIGHT be granted a little more consideration as a patient rather than just a chicken. Good luck to you and to your chicken!

Back
Top Bottom