Sick geese Please help!

AJinMO

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
We have two young toulouse (sp?) geese that are sick. They are weak, the ones legs are paralyzed, and they don't want to eat or drink. We bought medicated poultry feed, but it hasn't seemed to help. We lost their mother and sibling to this already. Please help us figure it out. We love our geese, they're like pets.

We have two young toulouse (sp?) geese that are sick. They are weak, the ones legs are paralyzed, and they don't want to eat or drink. We bought medicated poultry feed, but it hasn't seemed to help. We lost their mother and sibling to this already. Please help us figure it out. We love our geese, they're like pets.

STOP feeding the medicated poultry food right NOW it is poisoning your geese and will kill them!!!!! You NEVER feed medicated feed to geese!!!!! Get them some gamebird or waterfowl feed instead..

The mother and sibling died from getting poisoned by the medicated feed!!!!
That is why they are acting sick because medicated feed should NEVER be used on waterfowl and that is what geese and ducks are waterfowl...

Last edited:
Ruru is right get rid of the medicated and get some waterfowl feed. Flock raiser is good and Add some Brewers yeast to their feed, you should be able to get this at feed stores. Brewers Yeast is NOT bakers yeast. The measurement is 1 cup brewers yeast to 5 pounds of feed. This helps with a Niacin deficiency which can cause leg problems.

They were already sick, BEFORE we gave them the medicated feed. Our farm store guy recommended the medicated feed, to see if it helped them. They were on regular feed before. We'll be sure not to give them the medicated feed anymore. Thank you.

can be a wide number of things:

1.) Botulism
2.) Poisoning due to:
-- mushrooms
-- rotting vegetation
-- poisonous plants
3.) Heavy worm load (has to be confirmed by a VET running a fecal check)

without being there and seeing there is no way to help. The best thing now is to get the survivors to a vet since treatment is different for each of the items I listed above.

Taking them to the vet isn't an option for us right now. I realize that they might die because of this, but we just can't. Is there anything we can try ourselves?

I cant recommend anything without seeing them first hand. Too many variables. There are lots of things to be done at home, but w/o a better understanding of what is wrong its hard to say "try this".

You say an adult died. ...how long ago...what was going on?

List symptoms
Food
Water source
Housing

Get a good amount of brewers yeast into their grains (the powder) and give them lots and lots of shredded fresh turnip greens. Put some vitamins in their water also. It surely won't hurt them, you might be surprised how fast they can recover when its a deficiency. I hope that is all it is!

Back
Top Bottom