Sick geese Please help!

Get a good amount of brewers yeast into their grains (the powder) and give them lots and lots of shredded fresh turnip greens. Put some vitamins in their water also. It surely won't hurt them, you might be surprised how fast they can recover when its a deficiency. I hope that is all it is!

fl.gif

Medicated feed won't kill waterfowl anymore - that was with the old class of drugs. Still, I don't feed it.

What's in their environment? What about their water? What type of bedding?

I have more experience with ducklings than goslings, but I've found that fresh air, fresh grass, and vitamins in their water can help a lot. I use Sav-A-Chick, but there are other vitamin/electrolyte brands. Brewers yeast, too! All good suggestions.

Thank you for the replies. One of the two died last night sometime. We are so upset, as this is the third goose we've lost to this mystery illness.

The other one (I'll call it a 'her' since we don't know for sure) is still walking around, but she seems lost most of the time. And she's very weak. Her neck is so skinny, I can feel the bones easily. It's also slightly stiff. She sounds weak too. Her honk isn't as loud, it sounds a bit raspy I guess is the best way to describe it. She chews food more than she actually eats it, same with water. I think it's because her neck is so weak. Her legs are thin, and weak as well. But she can still walk, run (though not fast - at all), and climb over low things like a rock or brick.

She's healthier than the one that just died, but she's still sick. She was born in May of this year, so she's about 4 months old. Her mother and father (who's very healthy, as well as his brother) are/were born in March of 2012.

This afternoon, we gave her some activated charcoal from the pet store via a feeding tube, in case she has botulism. We don't know if it will help her, but like I said, we just can't take her to the vet. We have to try to heal her on our own. It's sad, but necessary. I read about how to give her the charcoal on the internet.

Now, for the vitamins. Are they sold at the feed store? Is the niacin separate, or do we need vitamins with it in there?

Thank you so much, we appreciate the help greatly.

I forgot to mention that they live freely. They're not caged up or anything. They live in a fenced in field about 1-2 acres in size. We give them fresh water everyday, and they have two little barns for shelter that they really enjoy. We don't lock them up at night, they sleep there on their own.

I forgot to mention that they live freely. They're not caged up or anything. They live in a fenced in field about 1-2 acres in size. We give them fresh water everyday, and they have two little barns for shelter that they really enjoy. We don't lock them up at night, they sleep there on their own.

You also offer the feed to right? and sometimes you can find poultry vitamins at feed stores with niacin already in it TSC has one called Nutri Drench but there are others too. One thing about Nutri Drench is it can be given straight and goes to work quick.
http://www.bovidr.com/poultry.html

Last edited:
You need to search the space they live in for mushrooms and remove them everytime they pop up. They are deadly if eaten and not treated with a toxin flush. Rotting vegitation can take them down quickly too. Since you have lost adults and goslings both this is a concern. Ask your local feed store (not tsc) if they have waterfowl food (duck food) or if they are a Purina dealer if they can get you Mazuri waterfowl feed. It is not cheap but is geared for waterfowl and doesnt require adding ALL the other extras for niacin and vitemins. When you compare how much Mazuri you need to feed each bird per day and then compare buying a generic feed and adding in niacin and vitemins there is no real difference in cost.

Thanks Shellie for telling them about mushrooms. Because they grow everywhere and if not aware of them they can eat them and kill their self.
I am also wondering if these geese are wormy?
Geese need to be wormed twice a year or more if they get any type of worms.

This year has been bad for geese getting into mushrooms, bad feed and poisonous plants. I have taken no less than 8 emails/calls and had to walk through care/what to look for how to help prevent this. Since it has been adults and juveniles both I have my doubts on it being just a lack of niacin. the symptoms described dont point to that.

AJinMO......

So the geese free range day and night over a couple of acres. Have a run in style barn shelter to use if they wish at night. I do warn about predators with this set up as geese can be killed coons, cyotes, bobcats, domestic dogs. Locking them in at night where predators cant reach them would be a good idea.

What is their water source?

What are you feeding? (brand, and amount, and how often)

I would confine the surviving goose in a small area that you know is free of any toxins. If she's that weak, you might try adding some honey to her water to get some calories in her. I've found it works great to get some quick energy into them when they are weak and not eating well.

Back
Top Bottom