Sick Goose, Respiratory Infection

Pics

MGG

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
One of my newer geese started making awful gurgling sounds yesterday. She's still eating and drinking, and doesn't seem too bad, just making gurgling sounds. I've noticed some mucus in her mouth too.
I can get medication at Runnings today if there's anything they would carry that could help, and a friend has injectable cattle Baytril.
I'm not sure what to use and how to dose it out though.
I also am not sure what kind of respiratory illness it is so I was hoping for something broad spectrum. What would you suggest?
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous @casportpony

I'm not that familiar with diseases that may affect Geese.
@casportpony may want to chime in.
Baytril will help if it's a bacterial infection. If it's fungal like Aspergillosis or caused by another condition (protozoa, environment, crop/digestive, etc.) then the medication won't help.

I might observe for a day before starting medications just to make sure something else is not causing her symptoms. Unless you are confident the symptoms are respiratory disease.

Show this to your vet:
http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/36_waterfowl.pdf
1639347985609.png
1639347686693.png

These are the two most common doses I have read about vets giving:
  • 10 mg/kg - No less than 0.045 ml per pound twice a day for 3-5 days.
  • 15 mg/kg - No more than 0.068 ml per pound twice a day for 3-5 days.
0.13 ml for a 5 pound bird is not enough, imo.

Respiratory infections spread like crazy, unfortunately. I'd keep her separated unless the others start to show symptoms.

Dosage is 10mg/kg of body weight. The recommended course is 3-5 days, but I usually go longer, like 7, just to be sure. And I strongly suggest giving it with food and probiotics. It always causes diarrhea in my ducks if I don't.

Some literature suggests that her eggs not be eaten at all, ever again, because of resistance in humans. I'd just not sell them give them away.

They can hatch.

Oh, I'd love to see pics!
That's a relief, haha.
Sure! This is her makeshift pen. I was trying to block the draft from the pop door with the board.
(Not the best pic)
Screenshot_20211212-125144~2.png

Here's her boyfriend. He's much more handsome ATM, lol.
_MG_6089.JPG.jpg

I may just stop giving advice. I'm feeling powerfully stupid today.
Why would you say that?!
I appreciate your advice.

Back
Top Bottom