Sick Goose

ms2plus2

Hatching
Jun 20, 2015
I have three Africans, two hens and one gander, they are a about 15 months old. They were all three purchased together and the hens started laying at 5 months months . Trek, one of the hens has always been the biggest, healthiest more mature of the three, we thought she was a gander at first. It appears that the gander has bonded with the other hen, Lemony, because they are always together, but he covers both hens. We always collect the eggs, but when Lemony started acting like she wanted to sit, we left them. After about a week, Lemony lost interest, the gander never showed any interest, so I collected the eggs. Both hens have stopped laying, and this is about the right time, they have been laying almost nonstop for 10 months. My concern is Trek. She is more and more standoffish. She has no interest in chasing the chickens, she doesn't come up and greet us anymore and sleeps most of the time. She moves slowly, appears listless, but she is eating and drinking. Is she depressed because she isn't the "best girl"? Or should I be looking for a physical ailment? She is losing feathers, but this is time for molt.....

Any ideas from you goose veterans out there?

I have three Africans, two hens and one gander, they are a about 15 months old. They were all three purchased together and the hens started laying at 5 months months . Trek, one of the hens has always been the biggest, healthiest more mature of the three, we thought she was a gander at first. It appears that the gander has bonded with the other hen, Lemony, because they are always together, but he covers both hens. We always collect the eggs, but when Lemony started acting like she wanted to sit, we left them. After about a week, Lemony lost interest, the gander never showed any interest, so I collected the eggs. Both hens have stopped laying, and this is about the right time, they have been laying almost nonstop for 10 months. My concern is Trek. She is more and more standoffish. She has no interest in chasing the chickens, she doesn't come up and greet us anymore and sleeps most of the time. She moves slowly, appears listless, but she is eating and drinking. Is she depressed because she isn't the "best girl"? Or should I be looking for a physical ailment? She is losing feathers, but this is time for molt.....

Any ideas from you goose veterans out there?
This is the time for molt right after breeding and laying is over. So this maybe what you are seeing. Give her support in the form of poultry vitamins in their drinking water. Maybe increase the protein to also help with feather growth. Keep an eye on her though it could be an aliment they can hide them very well. My geese are going into molt also and My oldest gander[8] always look like he is not feeling well when he is in molt, I put Poultry Nutri Drench in their water to give them an extra boost of vitamins.

Only way to know for sure would be to get her to a vet.

Welcome to BYC

Thanks for your response Miss Lydia, these are my first geese and my first time to have them molt. I have started putting vitamins in their water, and in with their food. She is moving ok, WHEN she moves. I will keep a close eye on her and I hope it is just that she is molting.

Thanks for your response Miss Lydia, these are my first geese and my first time to have them molt. I have started putting vitamins in their water, and in with their food. She is moving ok, WHEN she moves. I will keep a close eye on her and I hope it is just that she is molting.
I hope it's just molt too. keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom