Sick Gosling

CJ, have you been able to find other feed yet? Even purina chick starter with the niacin added would be better. Has she been able to be on grass daily so far?
Keep us posted, will try and check in later.

I am confused when I went and looked up the the chick starter and the turkey starter it has the same protein 20% What percentage should it be for geese.
The feed mill I use has blue seal.. blue seal has a feed for ducks and geese called.
Grower–Cal A high-quality grower ration which does not contain medication. This formula is available in mash or pellets. Grower-Cal is intended for replacement birds being raised for laying eggs rather than for meat. Grower-Cal is also an excellent growing ration for ducks and geese, especially for pets not raised for meat. It has 15% protein.

Goslings are 6 - 7 weeks old. Thanks for your help.

The blue seal grower cal would be great with the lower protien level. If it wasn't available then chick starter mixed with rolled oats to cut the protien would be your next option. The more dark greens you can offer the better. At 6 weeks old they should be on grass all day with feed offered at night. They don't need unlimited feed like ducklings do. 90+% of their diet should be grass/grazing.

The blue seal grower cal would be great with the lower protien level. If it wasn't available then chick starter mixed with rolled oats to cut the protien would be your next option. The more dark greens you can offer the better. At 6 weeks old they should be on grass all day with feed offered at night. They don't need unlimited feed like ducklings do. 90+% of their diet should be grass/grazing.

Ok thank you. I call the mill back and it will be two weeks before the Grower Cal will be here. So need to do the chick starter. I use Gamebird starter grower for my silkies no matter what age.
The mill recommended either the rolled oats or what they thought would be better was to cut it with a 12% Southern States All feed pellet. It does have molasses in the pellet. What do you recommend between the two? Can I ask why the turkey feed effect the one but not the other two? Just trying to learn. How long do I feed this grower cal (to what age). What % of protein was I suppose to be feeding them? So I don't make this mistake again. I feel like such a bad gosling mom. I feed my birds better than I feed myself so I thought I was doing the right thing when the feed store recommended this turkey pellet.

Sometimes a feed store will be misinformed. The 15% should be good all summer for the goslings. Sometimes 1 hatchling will be more likely to show weakness, or need more niacin than hatch mates. Similar to how one human child can have an allergy while another doesn't.

I think you are doing great. Asking questions, learning and changing what needs changed if anything.

I would avoid the all feed pellet, molasses can loosen stool and well goslings don't need help in that department. :lol:

The crimped and rolled oats are both good to add. We give Blackoil sunflower seeds to the older birds also. Only have two who won't eat them.

Just like us, whole grains are better than processed. So once they are adults andi you want to add to their diet look to oats, sunflower seeds, wheat, millet. I say adult, but you can offer as soon as you are grazing the, and they have access to grit, so this is usually feathered juveniles and adults.
Find what works for you and your birds and go with it. We have green grass all year, so I don't have to change feed much from summer to winter. You may want to ask Jean (Pips&Peeps) about her winter diet as she deals with snow with her Sebbie flock.

mixing oats with the chick feed until the other stuff come. What % do I mix it?
I know I offered her oats today and yesterday and she looked at me like I was nuts. So did the other three and one of them is an adult. lol

For her you can do something like a handful of feed and half a handful,of oats. Make sure they aren't whole oats. Introducing anything new will take time, but they get use to it.

Well by your post I did right.. I did not get whole oats.. they could not weigh out the rolled oats have to sell in 50# bag. I am cleaning out coop 20x40 this weekend (in the rain) so did not want to fill bins so I can not move them. lol So got her plus the other 3 wheat, baby grit. I had not given grit since they were out and about getting from ground. Since she is cooped I read either sand or baby grit. So got her that. Now I got sunflower seed meat (out of shell) is that ok or was I suppose to get in the shell? Hope I did that right.
And since she is cooped I got her bags and bags of collards and kale and I will cut her grass, clover and dandelions If I have.
So since I got sunflower and wheat give like a 1/4 hand full each of the two with a handful of chick starter? or alternate them?

I did order the Grower-call but it will take two weeks to get it on their next order but its coming. Will do the chick starter until then.
Just a questions I see many animals are not to have whole oats why? Is it because steamed or rolled is easier to digest?

Do geese need free choice oyster shell also?

When your geese become adults what pellets do you feed then?

I want to thank you very much for taking your time in answering and helping me to help Sabrina. I truly appreciate it.
hugs.gif

CJ I thnk the rolled are easier to digest for the young birds. We do use whole oats for the adults. We use the black oil sunflower seeds (in shell) but hauled is fine for her. Nice collection of yummiest you picked up. You can take a shallow pan with dirt and grow grass too for her to graze on.

I have a write on in my signature on what we feed and when. I change it up some, but it's a basic of what we offer. Currently our feed bills are very low thanks to the summer fast growing grass, and not being breeding season. I swear by Mazuri waterfowl feed, it isn't always available everywhere. If a feed store is a purina dealer, they can often order the Mazuri in for you. They make a starter, maintenance, and layer.

Ask away, I don't know it all, but happy to share what works for us, and help trouble shoot through issues.

great idea on the grass never gave that a thought. Off to get grass seed now. lol I checked on Mazuri as the feed mill can order. I use to get their parrot mix for my macaw.
But they wanted $29 for 25# and that was the mills cost so it would be more for me. So I had them order the growth-cal. I will check out your signature.. I thank you so much for your help I will keep you posted at how she is doing. Thanks cj

do they only eat the tops of the grass or will she pull it out by the roots? so i know how much I am going to have to buy?thanks

Back
Top Bottom