Sick Hamburg

MilleFleurs

Chirping
Mar 24, 2017
I've got a sick Hamburg. She's been like this for almost two weeks now, but she doesn't move much from the spot she is in, and she would eat when I'd offer it, but never by herself, same with water. She stays alert though, watching me with her eyes, moving her head. While outside she would puff up with her tail down when standing. I moved her inside last night, she drank a little bit of water last night and no food, so I made an almost completely watery mess of her food and she ate some of that this morning. It wasn't much, but it reassured me a little bit. Checking today she isn't puffed up, so I think I solved one problem of being cold. I've done all sorts of research and I just can't come up with anything solid. There are so many diseases out there with the same symptoms. I don't know what else I can do, or what I should. Does anyone have any tips?

How old is she? Is she having any lose poops? Since her symptoms could be from a number of causes, I would give her a food exam. Feel her crop to see if there is food in it, and again in early morning to see if it is emptying normally. Look her over for lice and mites. Feel of her breast area for weight loss, and look for swelling in her lower belly. Watch her walk, and pick her up and set her outside, to see if she is having a problem with her legs. Try to get her eating some chopped egg, bits of meat or liver, and they usually like wet chicken feed made thin. Has she been laying eggs recently?

Earlier I checked for Sour and Impacted crop, neither of which. The crop was a little squishy, but I can't rule out the possibility that it was from the very watery mash I gave her before around 4. I'll be checking again in the morning because there hasn't been a change. She isn't egg-bound because this has been for two weeks. I found a small white egg on the coop floor the other day before I brought her in, which my hamburgs are the culprits to those little eggs. I suspect that she laid it, which would have been Tuesday-Wednesday. There has been weight loss around her Keel bone, and her little belly feels the same as her sister, Candy, so no swelling. No leg issues, she runs around normally, just a little sluggish, like she's tired, and no energy. About half an hour ago she was inhaling the mash I placed in the crate and gulping down some water w/ ACV. She also would get up for a few minuets before sitting down, and her tail isn't as lowered as it has been. Hopefully this is a turn-around.

Her first birthday was Tuesday, so a year exactly. Her poop has been a quite watery with some lime green a few days ago. Last night it was very very clear with dark green specks, but today when I was clipping her nails, she pooped on the newspaper (It was a very smelly one) and it was a runny whitish, yellow color. Since it wasn't green, or bloody, I assumed it was better than what I've seen so far.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Tonight she seems to be doing a little better, so I'm hoping she'll be better.

Update: Little Marzia pulled through. I've been busy the past couple weeks, with a week long trip to Puerto Rico, and getting myself set up with an incubator and eggs. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom