Sick hen….at a loss as to what to try next

DS17

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2015
I have a 5 yr old Silver Laced Wyandotte hen that has been very puffed up with wings hanging down a bit for a week or so. She hasn’t laid since the fall when she started molting. She is wobbly and did not go to roost the other night so I have brought her inside to try to help her.
She is having crop issues - impacted with no smell so I’m treating that. She does drink a lot but doenst really want to eat. I’m offering scrambled egg and soaked, mashed feed. I think part of her being off balance and wobbly is due to lack of food. She does not have mites or lice. I have given dewormer. She does have bumblefoot on one foot so I’m working on that. She does not have water belly. I don’t know what else to do to help her. We are about to get super cold weather (negative digits at night and highs of 0) and I’m concerned with keeping her in the house and then putting her back outside. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciate!
Here are pics of her poop:

Attachments

• 514577C1-D3F5-41F0-AD9A-25E80F5A46C4.jpeg
    514577C1-D3F5-41F0-AD9A-25E80F5A46C4.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 7D3DA92C-2A4B-4776-82DD-DF646BE5432E.jpeg
    7D3DA92C-2A4B-4776-82DD-DF646BE5432E.jpeg
    671.5 KB · Views: 18
Forgot to mention in the original post, I am also giving corid (just in case) and Vit E and B complex.
I’ve brought the dog crate outside so she can get some sun and fresh air. She “ wobbled” around some in the snow as well….she’s really unsteady :(
Anyone have any other suggestions??

Can you try offering her some chilled coconut oil, about 1-2 tsp per day, cut into small pieces that she can peck and eat? What does her crop feel like—full and hard or puffy, and can you check it first thing in the morning to see if it has emptied? If her crop feels hard or doughy, you can try to massage it in a downward motion several times a day to break up an impaction. If her crop is full and puffy, don’t massage since that can cause her to choke, but offer some Monistat cream 1/2 inch orally twice a day. She needs some nutrition, such as some scrambled watery egg, and a little chicken feed mushed into a lot of water, but no whole grains or seeds. Does she have poultry granite grit available for her digestion? Here is a good article to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Forgot to mention in the original post, I am also giving corid (just in case) and Vit E and B complex.
I’ve brought the dog crate outside so she can get some sun and fresh air. She “ wobbled” around some in the snow as well….she’s really unsteady :(
Anyone have any other suggestions??
I just thought I’d point out if you’re giving Corid you shouldn’t be giving vitamin B with it. It’ll make the Corid not as effective.

Can you try offering her some chilled coconut oil, about 1-2 tsp per day, cut into small pieces that she can peck and eat? What does her crop feel like—full and hard or puffy, and can you check it first thing in the morning to see if it has emptied? If her crop feels hard or doughy, you can try to massage it in a downward motion several times a day to break up an impaction. If her crop is full and puffy, don’t massage since that can cause her to choke, but offer some Monistat cream 1/2 inch orally twice a day. She needs some nutrition, such as some scrambled watery egg, and a little chicken feed mushed into a lot of water, but no whole grains or seeds. Does she have poultry granite grit available for her digestion? Here is a good article to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for your response!

Feel so bad for my girl :(

She has been eating some but is still very wobbly. I put her back with the flock today so she could have time outside the dog crate before the arctic air arrives and she didn’t go into the coop to roost tonight. Her crop feels hard - I’m treating with doculax - we are on day 2 of treatment. She does twist her neck some when she eats so I assume thats due to the crop being impacted. I haven’t seen any blood in her stools so I think I’ll stop the corid so I can give her vitamins E & B. I think I’ll try some tums too.
The other day I suspected water belly so I drained her. Other hens that have had water belly have had yellow fluid. With this hen, it was pink and it stunk :(
Her abdomen does not feel like a water ballon, but its firm. I’m at a loss as to what to try next. Any other suggestions are sure welcome.

Attachments

• 5398A94A-36BD-46EF-8ECC-C7445F944E09.jpeg
    5398A94A-36BD-46EF-8ECC-C7445F944E09.jpeg
    630.2 KB · Views: 9
Hopefully you are using Dulcolax doccusate sodium and not Dulcolax laxative (bisacodyl) since they should not have a laxative, but a stool softener. How much pink liquid did you get from the abdomen? It sounds like egg yolk peritonitis. Most times it is hard to know exactly what is going on while they are alive. I usually do a necropsy if I lose on to look at the abdominal organs.

Back
Top Bottom