Sick hen….at a loss as to what to try next

Hopefully you are using Dulcolax doccusate sodium and not Dulcolax laxative (bisacodyl) since they should not have a laxative, but a stool softener. How much pink liquid did you get from the abdomen? It sounds like egg yolk peritonitis. Most times it is hard to know exactly what is going on while they are alive. I usually do a necropsy if I lose on to look at the abdominal organs.
Yes, dulcolax with out the laxative! I got about 2 oz of fluid.
She hasn’t laid since the fall due to age and heavy molt. I’m not familiar with egg yolk peritonitis. I have liquid amoxicillin, I wonder if I should give that a try.

Here is the most recent stool pic. Does it look out of the ordianry?

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    561.8 KB · Views: 5
do you see any issues with staying upright or walking that’s not related to the bumble foot?
Yes. She is generally unstable. She was never limping - I just happened to look at the bottoms of her feet and saw the black scab. She stands just fine. Walking is slow and unsteady

Okay. What i first thought is that it might be a fractured veterbre or backbone but if she stands just fine it’s not going to be that.

Poor girl is not feeling well.

Draining fluid and it having a bad odor doesn't sound very positive. I'd still try the Amoxicillin and see if that makes a difference. Keep in mind when dealing with reproductive disorders, generally antibiotics are part of supportive care and comfort measures instead of administering a cure.

The crop not emptying is very likely a symptom of what's going on with her reproductive system or her overall decline. Inflammation and infection in the system can slow the whole process down. Once you get the medication started, then you may see better results with the crop starting to move a bit too.

I'm sorry that she's not well. The poop is not normal and her stance tells us she's having a hard time.
Work on getting fluids into her, the vitamins are a good idea.

I plan to start amoxicillin today. I have liquid 125mg/5ml. I need to reseach the dosage amounts. If anyone has any info on dosage amounts I’d be grateful for the help. :)

I plan to start amoxicillin today. I have liquid 125mg/5ml. I need to reseach the dosage amounts. If anyone has any info on dosage amounts I’d be grateful for the help. :)
I tried 250 mg every 12 hours per the advice I received on my thread. Best wishes for your hen!

Back
Top Bottom