sick hen dont know what it is or what to do need help soon please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rhodered10, May 15, 2011.

1. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    i have ten hens that all live together and tonight when i was putting them to bed i noticed that one of my hens was acting sick with her wings almost touching the ground and poop on her vent, the strangest thing was a clear liquid that was dripping from her vent that wont seem to stop and when i try to pick her up it squirts out of her. i have no idea what this could be so any advice and help you could give me would be very greatly appreciated and i would like help very soon so please respond. thanks in advance.

2. rhodered10

Aug 12, 2010
    ok ill give some more info i hope it helps

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    rhode red mix, abotu 1 year, one of my heavier girls
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    droopy wings looks lathargic
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    no more than 12 hours
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    not that i can tell
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no injuries or trauma
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    no idea
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    not sure
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    runny, strange clear liquid dripping and squirting out of vent
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    none so far
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    anything anyone can tell me that should help, i have no idea how to treat this, can get a vet sometime i suppose
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    dont have one sry
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    normal housing , bedding is kind of dirty right now was planning on changing it sometime this week

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    When did she last lay an egg? Has she been sitting in the nest box or acting like she wants to lay an egg? She could be egg bound. I'm also worried that the clear fluid could be a broken egg inside her vent.

4. rhodered10

Aug 12, 2010
    thanks for your help i am not sure when the last time she layed an egg was but now that i think about it yesterday i did find some egg whites in the nesting boxes but nothing else usualy when they eat an egg they leave shells behind

5. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Soak her bottom in a nice warm bath to relax her & her muscles for a while.
    Put on a vinyl/rubber glove, lube it up with some KY or vaseline and try sticking your finger gently up her vent. Do you feel anything? You should be able to get your finger up as far as it will go. If she had an egg in there & it broke, you should be able to feel some of the shell inside her. If you do, very carefully try to work them out of her.
    Then put her in a quiet, dark area for a few days to recover from her experience & heal up. The darkness will slow the egg production/formation. You should try to feed her some foods that are high in vitamins A, K & E , especially vit. A. She might get a nutrient deficiency caused by all of the stress, and vitamin A is one of the most important vitamins for a chickens overall health.
    Some foods high in vit. A are: broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, mangoes & tomato juice. Spinach, peppers & alfalfa leaves for K, and sweet potatoes & broccoli for E, which helps boost the immune system.
    Also cook her up & mash a hard boiled egg for some extra protein.
    If the clear stuff turns out to be diarrhea, try feeding her some yogurt and some of the above named veggies.

6. rhodered10

Aug 12, 2010
    thanks for all of your help. i don't know was wrong with her though she seems to be absolutely fine now, i have noticed a decrease in eggs but nothing too dramatic, i still don't know what that fluid was i am guessing it was just diarrhea. but other than that for the most part they seem to be ok, i will keep a close eye on then though i don't want anything to happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by