sick hen, egg bound or sour crop

kmdodge2015

Chirping
Sep 13, 2020
Ok, I have a hen who usually lays everyday, I tell her not to and to take it easy, but now she hasn't laid in 2 days. Thought maybe the heat cut her egg laying.
Today she is lethargic, standing in front of the waterer puffed out, tail down wings down.
But she also had a huge water filled crop.
I picked her up and took her inside, then had clear fluid pouring out of her mouth. It was clear like water, but thick and slimy. No smell. I have had sour crop twice and it has never had the smell always FULL crop of water and the slimy clear liquid.
I felt her underside, I can feel an egg but it's farther in the tract, it feels like an odd shape. Gloved up, oiled up and put my finger in her and couldn't feel the egg in the "pockets" which leads me to belive its farther up.

Should I treat for both conditions?
What should I do for her? She is inside now, in a crate in a calm dark place.
Any advice wpuld be great!

Are you feeling the egg below the vent between her legs?
She may have laid internally or you may be feeling the gizzard.

If there's inflammation at the reproductive end or the gizzard is impacted, then that will slow the crop.

Is she pooping at all? What's that like?

IF she's not lethargic, a warm epsom salts batch may help get things moving.
Calcium is needed if she's having a hard time expelling an egg. You can try giving a bit of coconut oil to help loosen things up a well.
I would not massage the crop if it's fluid filled.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She died. She did poop it was watery with some streaks of white and green. She was flipped over on her back when I found her dead.
I did give her half a tums and a 30 minute Epsom salt bath last night. She is usuallty a very flighty bird and she let me pick her up and she sat i the sink while I cooked dinner. She was my best chicken, very struck abou laying i one box and would raise hell to get to the nesting box to lay.

I did not do anything with her crop for fear of aspiration, I left her in a warm dark place to try and lay, no egg was laid.
Thank you for your help!

I'm sorry:(
I did open her up, she had a very large egg and an impacted looking gizzard. Her gizzard was HUGE. I have butchered cornish cross before, I have seen their gizzards....this poor girls(about 4 pounds) had a gizzard that was twice the size of a 12 pound(live) conish cross. I opened the gizzard and there was no grit, despite having constant access to it. It had "new" and "old" food in there and a few juniper berry's that are very hard and fibrous balls, about the size of tube that runs from her crop to her gizzard.
The egg she had in there was near double the size of her normal eggs. No double yolk but a lot of albumin. Shell had twisted grooves in it, normally her eggs are perfect.

I did open her up, she had a very large egg and an impacted looking gizzard. Her gizzard was HUGE. I have butchered cornish cross before, I have seen their gizzards....this poor girls(about 4 pounds) had a gizzard that was twice the size of a 12 pound(live) conish cross. I opened the gizzard and there was no grit, despite having constant access to it. It had "new" and "old" food in there and a few juniper berry's that are very hard and fibrous balls, about the size of tube that runs from her crop to her gizzard.
The egg she had in there was near double the size of her normal eggs. No double yolk but a lot of albumin. Shell had twisted grooves in it, normally her eggs are perfect.
:( Poor girl!

Back
Top Bottom