Sick Hen, Egg Bound?

Suskm

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
Fort Valley GA
I have a Turkens hen who is displaying symptoms of not feeling well. Egg bound? Just occurred to me. Her feathers, eyes and beak look fantastic. While she is somewhat active, eating, scratching around and drinking, her wings are hanging down and she is droopy and lethargic, standing with her eyes closed or her head tucked into her shoulder feathers. Last night she struggled to fly to her roost and couldn't get up to it. Noted that she feels pretty thin after picking her up and putting her up on the roost last night. I wormed my flock a couple of weeks ago with Ivermectin. Everyone is fine but her. and I sure would like to help her out.
Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

I have a hen prone to getting egg bound. When she is she looks miserable and hunched like your photo, she doesn't eat much but can be tempted with treats, and her vent is constantly clenching and unclenching like she is straining to push out the egg. I usually give her a warm bath to help her muscles relax and she generally passes the egg (or shell if it breaks) a while later. When the weather is cold I keep her in a a box with a hot water bottle until she dries off from the bath.

I am going out to check her out for this problem. I hope I can help this girl out.....thankfully down here in our Southern United States, GA it's still fairly warm, in the 80s! Appreciate it very much. Will report back....

I checked out the link you sent me. I did everything they've called me to do. She doesn't appear to be egg bound so I have no clue as to what is wrong with her. Sadly we don't have an avian vet around here and the regular vets won't touch my girls. It's very aggravating! We'll just have to play it by ear for now. Perhaps I will find some more information on what I should be looking for.
Cheers! BTW she was revived enough to peck me really hard when I took her out of isolation to run her through the warm bath a second time! That's why we call her Fussy!

Sure has been a discouraging week in my chicken world! My hen is hanging on by a thread....really wishing she would just pass. Now I find one of my 12 week old Cuckoo Marans roos is wheezing and snicketing. No runny nostrils or anything thank God! Hopefully I can treat this one with VetRX and it will take care of things for him and that he didn't infect his pen mates. I guess I'll have to treat all of them. We are supposed to leave for a holiday Wednesday afternoon. Oi! I am not a happy camper! Just saying!

Back
Top Bottom