sick Hen, I think its roundworm. Could use some help

MelissaRose

R.I.P. Lissie
Apr 15, 2018
Maine
Hi,
We got some Americana mix hatching eggs from a friend and hatched two gray chicks, Peep and Chickso. They were both healthy, perfectly normal. When they were about five months old, Peep started losing weight, getting pale and not wanting to eat and drink. We moved her into the barn so she could be alone and she died. Now a month or so later the other one, Chickso is getting slow and losing weight. Tonight she didn't get on the roost, we brought her inside and put her in a box with food and water. I would really like to save her if I can. These symptoms sound like roundworm to me. If it is, what should I do about it? Could it be something their mother had and passed to them, if it is roundworm, is it contagious?
Thank you
MelissaRose

It could be roundworms. You can give your birds a round of Wazine mixed in water for your birds to drink. Dosage is one ounce Wazine per one gallon of water for one day. Withhold drinking water from them 2 hours prior going to roost for the evening. The next morning put out the treated water for them to drink after letting them out of the coop.
They will be thirsty and will readily drink the treated water. Repeat this procedure in 3 weeks.
Roundworms eggs are picked up from the soil. Check out the roundworms direct lifecycle when you get the chance. :)

It could be roundworms. You can give your birds a round of Wazine mixed in water for your birds to drink. Dosage is one ounce Wazine per one gallon of water for one day. Withhold drinking water from them 2 hours prior going to roost for the evening. The next morning put out the treated water for them to drink after letting them out of the coop.
They will be thirsty and will readily drink the treated water. Repeat this procedure in 3 weeks.
Roundworms eggs are picked up from the soil. Check out the roundworms direct lifecycle when you get the chance. :)
Thanks I'll do that. Where could I get Wazine?

Dying at such a young age, it is very serious, and I would really get a necropsy, if you lose this hen. You can contact your state poultry vet to get a necropsy, to look for a cause of death. Suddenly getting pale with weight loss and loss of appetite could be more serious than worms. I would also get some fresh droppings checked for coccidiosis and worms, just to see what kind. Mareks disease could be a slight possibility, but hopefully not. So sorry for your loss. Worming, possibly starting Corid for coccidiosis, and offering some watery feed with some chopped egg, and probiotics are some suggestions.

Hopefully, Dawg53 has nailed the problem, but a necropsy if you lose her, could really tell you if there is more going on. Here is a link with state poultry vets, and I would first call and discuss how to get a necropsy should you lose your sick hen:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Coccidiosis crossed my mind also but at 5-6 months old they shouldve already had resistance to it. Also I believe death wouldve occurred much sooner. However it wouldnt hurt to give the surviving chick Corid at this point in addition to wazine. If the chick dies, I agree with Eggcessive, a necropsy would be best.

Coccidiosis crossed my mind also but at 5-6 months old they shouldve already had resistance to it. Also I believe death wouldve occurred much sooner. However it wouldnt hurt to give the surviving chick Corid at this point in addition to wazine. If the chick dies, I agree with Eggcessive, a necropsy would be best.
She has water with Corid in it right now, and she survived lats night. Is wazine a wormer?

Since you have started Corid in the water, you might want to use SafeGuard or Valbazen to treat for worms, since those are given orally, and not mixed into water as Wazine is. Those also may treat more types of worms.

Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml for a standard size chicken given orally, and repeated in 10 days. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or the equine paste dosage is 1/4 ml and repeated in 10 days. If used for 5 consecutive days, SafeGuard will also treat capillary worms.

If you use Wazine, it treats only round worms. Dosage is 1 ounce (30 ml) in a gallon of water for 1 day. I would not mix Corid Water with Wazine water, and do not use at the same time, since they will not take enough of both medications.

Since you have started Corid in the water, you might want to use SafeGuard or Valbazen to treat for worms, since those are given orally, and not mixed into water as Wazine is. Those also may treat more types of worms.

Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml for a standard size chicken given orally, and repeated in 10 days. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or the equine paste dosage is 1/4 ml and repeated in 10 days. If used for 5 consecutive days, SafeGuard will also treat capillary worms.

If you use Wazine, it treats only round worms. Dosage is 1 ounce (30 ml) in a gallon of water for 1 day. I would not mix Corid Water with Wazine water, and do not use at the same time, since they will not take enough of both medications.
Could I give her garlic or garlic water instead?

Back
Top Bottom