Sick Hen, Lethargic, slightly wobbly

Chickens are funny. The sick bird is in the crate below. The one watching her is our smallest hen. She is basically a loner, except for her only buddy that she roams the yard with when they are out. We can put her up top, but she comes back down. She has been the last to go up since her buddy is in the crate, I guess she is just not brave enough to stay on the floor with her. She will lay down and hang her head down to check things out. She is definitely concerned!!

Attachments

• 20210215_195124.jpg
    20210215_195124.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Well, not a good end to the story. So many posts don't provide the outcome... good or bad for those following or reading later.
She was up early this morning and moving around. Even had her tail up instead of hunched over and down. She was looking much better. Then about 2 hours later she was face down against the side of the crate. We went up and brought her into the house and she died about 20 minutes later. Along with the previous observations it appears that she did vomit in the crate and the odor seems to indicate sour crop. I'm not sure what else could have been done for her.

Well, not a good end to the story. So many posts don't provide the outcome... good or bad for those following or reading later.
She was up early this morning and moving around. Even had her tail up instead of hunched over and down. She was looking much better. Then about 2 hours later she was face down against the side of the crate. We went up and brought her into the house and she died about 20 minutes later. Along with the previous observations it appears that she did vomit in the crate and the odor seems to indicate sour crop. I'm not sure what else could have been done for her.
I am so sorry for your loss. I had a chicken last week that pretty much had the same symptom's as yours. Mine was at the bottom of the pecking order as well. I look at is as slightly my fault. When I noticed she was so weak, she was very skinny, even thou she had beautiful feathers that hid it. I believe my other chickens kept her from feeding and maybe even the water dish. I dealt with the other chickens bullying for two years but didn't realize how bad. They maybe new something wrong with her that I didn't know. I do know animals when dying do give off an order as their bodies are shutting down. Mine smelled strange the last day she died. Not necessary blaming the crop. I have dealt with crop issues a few years ago and the systems were different. Now I go out at dust and check my chickens over when roosting, checking their body weight and crop. Hard lesson learned for me. Again your situation is yours and I do feel how hard this is to work so hard to save them and the outcome is so hard. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom