Sick hen, loosing weight, still eating, but weak

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
I hope someone can help me out with this.

I have a 2 year old hen, who has by the way stopped laying eggs months ago, who has been ill for the past 3 weeks. She has several times now been helped by antibiotics, but usually about half way through the prescription she falls back again to illness. I'm on her third prescription for antibiotics and it seems that she isn't responding at all anymore. if anything, I think it might just be holding the illness off, but eventually won't work. She is loosing weight, but still eating, albeit not with normal chicken gusto. She is weak. If I cage her she stops eating and drinking, so I let her out with the other hens and she does walk around and eat, but she does rest quiet a bit, close her eyes when she gets the chance. I've noticed her comb is dry and pale- so, I think she is dehydrated. Her feathers are looking dull. She doesn't have the energy to jump up onto things.

I've treated her with the antibiotics and also now with some D-worm, though I'm not sure I gave her enough dosage. (I gave her enough d-worm orally up to the point where it says '1' on the syringe- I don't know what measurement that is.) I'm just at a loss as to what else I can try with her. She's a great hen and I'd hate to loose her.

I did purchase some Oxine AH, but probably won't arrive until the middle of this week- which might be too late. I'd like to try and use that as a "sauna" with her just in case it might help. I'm also thinking about getting some Wazine 17- just in case the D-worm didn't get what is causing the problem. To tell you the truth though, I am not sure how to use the Wazine 17. I free range my chickens and they hardly drink from their water dish, so I don't know how effective that would be.

Does anyone have any other ideas that I can try? I'm just about ready to get out some pumpkin seeds and garlic just in case its some sort of parasite (which I'm guessing it might be due to the fact she is still trying to eat). Maybe that could help?

Anyone who has any ideas to share, I'd be so greatly appreciative to hear it! She just seems to have so much will to live yet... and it seems unfair to give up on her.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
I had a chicken waste away and die every few months before I realized it was Marek's. They looked like they were eating the whole time. The end was near when I found bright green poo .

I could be something else, but I thought it might give you something to think about.
hugs.gif

I hope someone can help me out with this.

I have a 2 year old hen, who has by the way stopped laying eggs months ago, who has been ill for the past 3 weeks. She has several times now been helped by antibiotics, but usually about half way through the prescription she falls back again to illness. I'm on her third prescription for antibiotics and it seems that she isn't responding at all anymore. if anything, I think it might just be holding the illness off, but eventually won't work. She is loosing weight, but still eating, albeit not with normal chicken gusto. She is weak. If I cage her she stops eating and drinking, so I let her out with the other hens and she does walk around and eat, but she does rest quiet a bit, close her eyes when she gets the chance. I've noticed her comb is dry and pale- so, I think she is dehydrated. Her feathers are looking dull. She doesn't have the energy to jump up onto things.

I've treated her with the antibiotics and also now with some D-worm, though I'm not sure I gave her enough dosage. (I gave her enough d-worm orally up to the point where it says '1' on the syringe- I don't know what measurement that is.) I'm just at a loss as to what else I can try with her. She's a great hen and I'd hate to loose her.

I did purchase some Oxine AH, but probably won't arrive until the middle of this week- which might be too late. I'd like to try and use that as a "sauna" with her just in case it might help. I'm also thinking about getting some Wazine 17- just in case the D-worm didn't get what is causing the problem. To tell you the truth though, I am not sure how to use the Wazine 17. I free range my chickens and they hardly drink from their water dish, so I don't know how effective that would be.

Does anyone have any other ideas that I can try? I'm just about ready to get out some pumpkin seeds and garlic just in case its some sort of parasite (which I'm guessing it might be due to the fact she is still trying to eat). Maybe that could help?

Anyone who has any ideas to share, I'd be so greatly appreciative to hear it! She just seems to have so much will to live yet... and it seems unfair to give up on her.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Wazine only gets roundworms.

Thank you, all of you for your replies.. .and thank you casportpony for the link.. VERY HELPFUL!

Does anyone know where I can get Albendazole, or Valbazen ? I did have quite a bit of flies in the coop this year. Perhaps she has some tapeworms, but then again, I have not seen any visible (to the naked eye) evidence of worms in her fecal matter.

seminolewind... How did you find out it was Marek's? Did you have a post-mortem done on your hen? My hen's poo is bright green too right now- its been off and on now, but now that she's doing quite poorly even though still eating, I'm sure if I don't act soon she will pass. From what I've read is that green poo is a sign that the chicken is not eating, or not eating enough. Is that correct?

Happy Chooks... I have been worried with her in the past about egg yolk peritonitis- about nine months ago, her health took a dive. She had been laying soft shell eggs- this is right before she stopped laying. When she stopped laying, I figured that I didn't have to worry about that anymore. I would suppose if it is, then there is nothing I can do for her?

seminolewind... Just saw the links you have on Mareks... thanks, I will read them.

Worried because many of my hens I have noticed when their feathers are coming in are bleeding... is this a sign???! Is there no hope for hens with Mareks?

Back
Top Bottom