Sick Hen need help!!!

Quote:
whats that?!?

Food gets stuck in the crop creating a buildup of everything the chicken eats. some feed will make it around the impaction for a while, but eventually it will get so bad little will pass thru. The chicken will get very thin because it is starving to death. In order for the chicken to live the buildup must be removed. Here is a video on a home surgery. I do not agree with the final closure of the outter layer of skin being done with glue. I would either stitch, or staple myself. and a broad spectrum antibiotic is for sure important after crop surgery.
If you can afford to go to the vet that would be a good option for a pet chicken. BUT not all vets do a good job on crops so you may want to find a country vet who has chickens. or just do it yourself. If youy do it yourself a good hint is when you first make the incision into the crop you will see the veins clearly, you wont be able to miss all of them, just try to hit an area with the least veining. Please dont use a turkey baster like they did, use a sterile 50 cc syringe, and distilled water that has been boiled and cooled. you can buy medical one time use staplers, and stitched, and scalpes ( make sure you buy a handle for the scaple they dont usually come with them) from farm suppliers online. keep the chicked in a watch cage as close to you as possible for the first 72 hours.

prevention ....... have a supply of small rocks, or oyster shell available all the time for them to break down their food

Back
Top Bottom