Sick Hen; New Question, pg 5

It is tough to say what it is without proper tests to confirm. There are so many respiratory illnesses that look similar, it would be a guess at best. Could be MS, MG, ILT, infectious bronchitis, CRD, etc. This is the hardest part of raising chickens.

The watery stools are typical when they are not eating enough. Have your tried alternative foods...things she might like to get something in her for strength. Scrambled egg, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, oatmeal..are all good choices. The warmth will help her keep her strength to fight whatever is going on, so I would keep her as comfortable as possible (not too hot and not too cool).

How does her belly feel? If you go in between her legs from the rear, do you feel any swelling? If so, is it hard or mushy soft? I'm still thinking something else may be going on that is breaking her system down to allow for viral symptoms.

Jody

It is not squishy between her legs... but when she breathes.. it isnt like it normally is, her abdomen gets really really big when she inhales. I'm going to put some yogurt in her cage. She is nice and warm. She is very weak. She was laying down, resting. She can stand.

Okay, I just took her some yogurt. I put some in her beak, and she spit it out. Then she tried to get a drink and when she stuck her beak in the water she sneezed.
sad.png

check the crop for possible impaction, and chest area for swelling or signs of air under the skin..

does she have any mucus?

what color is the comb?

is the comb hot?
is she hot under the wings, or have moisture?

if you're going to use a water soluble antibiotic use Tylan (tylosin)..or give injection using Tylan 200 injectible, or Tylan 50 injectible 35mg/kg

water soluble Ery-mycin (erythromycin/gallimycin)

LS-50 is a option.

with a very sick bird..injections are best..
all of these meds can be found at farm/feed/livestock supply

BTW, gape worms are red.

but there are other types of worms that can get high up in the digestive tract.

don't give her anymore ivermectin.

fingers crossed for your hen.

*don't like the sound of that belly bulge, sammi. Could she be eggbound? Bowel obstruction? Something like that?? Maybe gasping because something restricting her diaphram? Is she still pooping, LH?

Last edited:
She is pooping. Gasping isnt as loud.. I don't know if it's better or worse. Havent seen any real signs of improvement... haven't seen any real signs of it getting worse.

Just keep her warm for now. Did you try vet RX around her nose...it is like Vicks vapor rub...helps them breath better when they have colds. She might be just fine if you keep her warm and provide her food and water. I had a roo who got a real bad cold and he pulled through. He rested a lot and we forced fluids down with a dropper to make sure he was drinking. I think we used electrolites in the water too. Give it time.

Havent been able to find any medications at our local feed supplement stores and there arent any real bird vet places for me to purchase vaccine at. So when I buy it'll have to be off the internet.
I gave her water through an eyedropper, which she drank all of... sneezed some out a couple times but drank most of it.
And I also gave her yogurt through an eyedropper which she ate all of.
It's good that she now has something in her so she can get her strength back!

* be real careful w/ the eyedropper, LH. For electrolytes, you can temporarily add a pinch of sugar & a pinch of salt to a cup & 1/8 water. Add a CAPFUL of Dasani water, if you can. If she seems able, make her a little thin-ish mash mix & try to see if she'll take any from a small shallow bowl or shot glass. YOU MIGHT have to hold it for her & wipe everything with a damp cloth after (it's hard & messy work!!!) Let her set the pace-- but more than bout 15-20 mins. can be rough on BOTH of you. MAKE FRESH Each!! That's why you keep svgs. So small. - -'Kay ??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom