1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Hen; New Question, pg 5

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LinckHillPoultry, Feb 19, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, like I said in my previous posts titled "Gape Worms", I am left not understanding if or what it is my poor Grey Japanese Bantie Hen has. Everyone thought it was Gape worms that she has, but today I am left stumped.
    I found her yesterday in her coop having breathing difficulties.
    Her symptoms are: She breathes with her mouth open, almost like a heaving or gasping sound she makes.

Now first of all you guys said maybe it's Gape Worms. Well, I gave her ivermectin last night, and today her conditions have not changed.
    Wouldn't the worms have died by now if that was the case?
    Could she have amonia? Or something else?! Please someone help.
    I haven't seen her eat or anything, but then again I haven't been watching her 24/7, I check up on her every now and then... like every 2 hours.
    Should I somehow help her eat and drink? Should I give her a drink through an eyedropper?

Please someone help me!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

BEFORE going to an eyedropper, TRY holding her in your lap & dipping her beak in a small cup. will she take ANY Water on her own??

3. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I havent seen her drink any... but yet I'm not watching her 24/7.
    She knows where the water is though.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*is she still standing/walking??

5. leslie0815

leslie0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    It sounds like a respiratory issue. I had the same problem with a few of mine and Wes told me to give Tylan 200. You will have to check the dosage. When mine had it they didn't survive very long . Good luck .......

6. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    She is standing and walking.

Since I gave her ivermectin last night, should I give her more tonight? Or should I check the stores and see if I can get some other medicine? If so what?

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Listen 'kay? Breathing problems are bad-- usually, BUT still standing and walking is good-- You know that!! RIGHT? HaVe you separated her? YOUR'E IN PA. Is she warm enough??

8. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, she is seperated in a cage in my garage. It is cold outside, but the garage is warmer.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Have you confirmed that she has gape worm by looking down her throat and seeing the worms?

10. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    No I have not looked down her throat. Should I do that? And I havent confirmed if it was, I'm thinking now it's more of a respiratory thing because after taking the ivermectin last night, she still has not changed.
    Should I look down her throat? If she does indeed have gape worms arent they red?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by