Sick Hen; New Question, pg 5

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Okay, like I said in my previous posts titled "Gape Worms", I am left not understanding if or what it is my poor Grey Japanese Bantie Hen has. Everyone thought it was Gape worms that she has, but today I am left stumped.
I found her yesterday in her coop having breathing difficulties.
Her symptoms are: She breathes with her mouth open, almost like a heaving or gasping sound she makes.

Now first of all you guys said maybe it's Gape Worms. Well, I gave her ivermectin last night, and today her conditions have not changed.
Wouldn't the worms have died by now if that was the case?
Could she have amonia? Or something else?! Please someone help.
I haven't seen her eat or anything, but then again I haven't been watching her 24/7, I check up on her every now and then... like every 2 hours.
Should I somehow help her eat and drink? Should I give her a drink through an eyedropper?

Please someone help me!

Last edited:
It sounds like a respiratory issue. I had the same problem with a few of mine and Wes told me to give Tylan 200. You will have to check the dosage. When mine had it they didn't survive very long . Good luck .......

She is standing and walking.

Since I gave her ivermectin last night, should I give her more tonight? Or should I check the stores and see if I can get some other medicine? If so what?

*Listen 'kay? Breathing problems are bad-- usually, BUT still standing and walking is good-- You know that!! RIGHT? HaVe you separated her? YOUR'E IN PA. Is she warm enough??

No I have not looked down her throat. Should I do that? And I havent confirmed if it was, I'm thinking now it's more of a respiratory thing because after taking the ivermectin last night, she still has not changed.
Should I look down her throat? If she does indeed have gape worms arent they red?

Back
Top Bottom