Sick hen, please help!

Evan s

Hatching
Oct 22, 2020
I'm very new here, I joined today just for this bird, so I hope I can figure something out!

I have a barred rock who has been in a bad way for over 3 weeks now, and she can't seem to knock it, I can't seem to figure it out.
It first started as a little bit of lethargy, but from there it spiraled. I've dewormed her, and just finished a tylan treatment but she hasn't improved at all. She's gaping, shaking her head, lethargic, tires easy, one of her eyes is half-closed, she gurgles after eating, and she chokes things back up. She extremely weak, she struggles to peck at food and even misses sometimes. She's still alive, somehow. I first considered CRD, but after treatment did nothing I'm considering cryptosporidiosis. I only have one bird that's acting like this, it's very clearly not spreading. I've looked in her throat, but couldn't see past her mouth area because a saliva bubble was blocking it. She seems to have way more sticky saliva like substance than I've ever seen. If anyone has any clues or tips or literally anything, I'd appreciate it greatly. I don't wanna lose this Lil girl.

(ill add this as well so its a little more organized)

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Barred rock, 3 years, she's very thin, I can't tell exactly how much she weighs
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Gaping, head shaking, lethargy, trouble swallowing, rales, regurgitation
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
over three weeks.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No other birds are sick.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Nope
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She just started with mild lethargic and spiraled.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She won't drink, but I feed her watermelon, eggs, and crumble.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc
Her droppings look normal, a little greener than usual but normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Dewormed, tylan, vitamins, minerals.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to
treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you
can get to a vet?
I'll do whatever necessary.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I have videos of her struggling, which might be better.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Mainly straw, which is treated for red mites/lice already.

Last edited:
It could POSSIBLY be gapeworm, though that's fairly rare, likely a disease. It sounds bad, whatever it is. It's likely that all you can do is get her to a vet. Until then, isolate her from any other chickens. It may be contagious. Try giving her electrolytes to perk her up a little.

It could POSSIBLY be gapeworm, though that's fairly rare, likely a disease. It sounds bad, whatever it is. It's likely that all you can do is get her to a vet. Until then, isolate her from any other chickens. It may be contagious. Try giving her electrolytes to perk her up a little.
It's not spreading, and the vets around me are useless, so unfortunatly I dont think I can get her to one. From what I know gapeworm would have killed her by now. My sole reason for keeping her with her flock is she eats better if others are around, Ill try electrolyes but they didn't do much when I gave them last time :(

Is her crop emptying by morning? Is she eating and drinking? It sounds like she has a chronic respiratory disease. MG is possible, but there are several others that may be possible. You can get some testing to identify the disease sometimes theough your state vet, or get an 8 disease poultry panel done through Zoologix. They send swabs for you to collect of tracheal secretions and send back for a pcr test. The latter is kind of pricey, around $90. Some states can be a few dollars for testing. Your hen may have some decreased immunity because of her disease. Unfortunately with chronic respiratory diseases, they can get sick again during periods of stress and cold weather.

Is her crop emptying by morning? Is she eating and drinking? It sounds like she has a chronic respiratory disease. MG is possible, but there are several others that may be possible. You can get some testing to identify the disease sometimes theough your state vet, or get an 8 disease poultry panel done through Zoologix. They send swabs for you to collect of tracheal secretions and send back for a pcr test. The latter is kind of pricey, around $90. Some states can be a few dollars for testing. Your hen may have some decreased immunity because of her disease. Unfortunately with chronic respiratory diseases, they can get sick again during periods of stress and cold weather.
She's been treated for CRD, her crop is emptying fine but ill check again to be sure. She will eat ok, but won't drink. ill look into testing

Try and get her to drink if possible. She needs to stay hydrated. Use a syringe to give her water every so often. You could also feed her a wet mash or watermelon so she gets some water in her

Try and get her to drink if possible. She needs to stay hydrated. Use a syringe to give her water every so often. You could also feed her a wet mash or watermelon so she gets some water in her
I've been giving her watermelon soaked in electrolytes, so she should be alright, she fought the dropper a lot and wouldn't drink so I just started getting lots of watermelons

I've been giving her watermelon soaked in electrolytes, so she should be alright, she fought the dropper a lot and wouldn't drink so I just started getting lots of watermelons
thats good! The thing I've found when giving them water is to put the water all along the side of their beak where the top and bottom beak meet

Back
Top Bottom