Sick hen, we are really worried. Please help.

ANightingale1

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Hi all,

I am new to the BYC so hopefully I am posting in the correct place. We have a hen who has been acting strange for a week or so but has got progressively worse over the last few days.

She hasn't laid for a while which we put down to being seasonal, she is really withdrawn and isn't scratting around like normal. She has really bad diarrhoea (varying from white to green to yellow) which is giving her a very dirty bottom as it is sticking to all her feathers. She is eating and drinking, not loads but she has never been a big eater.

I was concerned about her diarrhoea and took her to the vets yesterday. He said it could be any number of things but as her comb was bright and her eyes quite sparkly he wasn't too concerned and thought it was more than likely a cold. He gave her an antibiotic injection just in case. I did ask if it could be worms but the vet didn't think this was likely.

I feel she is worse today, she is even more withdrawn. It took a while for her to come out of the coop this morning and she has just been standing staring into space today, crouching behind bushes or in corners, or just staying in the coop. I have also noticed her comb isn't as red as yesterday and seems to have a tinge of blue on the tips.

She lives with two others and they have always got on well, so I don't think there is any bullying issues.

I have tried to clean the dried diarrhoea from her bottom but there are some really big lumps of poop stuck and I worried about hurting/distressing her.

From reading other posts and forums on the web I have to admit her symptoms are looking good. I guess what I am asking is she likely to get better and if so what can I do to help?

I am going to separate her tonight as I don't want the other two to get sick.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly received.

Hi I am by no means any expert- my chook is also showing similar symptoms and this has been going now for about 4- 5 weeks. The vet reckons Egg Yolk Perititonitis.
She had an A/B injection followed by a 10 day course od A/B- I also treated for Cocci (just in case)
She improved greatly though never to 100% but seemed to have good qulaity of life again scratching round and dust bathing etc- still much slower than my other two and much fussier with her food.
Last couple of days and she seems to have regressed- withdrawn, hunched etc.
Her bum has never improved and I am having to give her a warm bath every week or so to clean her up- she loves this.
Today I have put her back on the A/B but am feeling I may be fighting a losing battle- If she has not shown a marked improvement soon, I will have to do the kind thing and have her PTS.
I hope the prognosis for your girl is good- I would try the obvious things first (she may be egg bound or have a softy) Either way, I would give her a nice warm bath- make sure the water is deep enough to cover her vent. If she is egg bound or with softy this will help her relax and pass it more easily and will also give you a chance to clean her up a bit. You can dry her off with warm hairdryer afterwards.
Let us know how she gets on- Good Luck!

What was the name of the antibiotic he injected into her?

Baytril is a potent antibiotic. Yellow/green diarrhea indicates a bacterial infection, most likely ecoli. In addition to baytril, I highly recommend that you feed her probios mixed with poultry nutri drench and buttermilk until she has recovered.
Sometimes bad bacteria (ecoli) can get out of control and overwhelm good bacteria in their system. It can be caused by stress of some sort or weak immune system. Buttermilk and probios are probiotics that will help restore good bacteria to get things back in balance. Nutri drench is loaded with minerals and vitamins to help her regain strength.
I've dealt with ecoli in a rooster before, but lost the battle. I wish you the best.

I had a hen that was acting the same way but it was one day she was fine, the next she was withdrawn and then the next day I went out to give her some meds and we lost her during the night. If she has been like this for a while and still around it might be something that dawg53 is right about. The drench and probios should help. I hope she gets better.

Thank you all for your prompt replies. Really helpful advice. We have moved her into a separate house for the night and made sure she is warm. She was a little confused but settled quite quickly. I have some probiotics and buttermilk in so will try her on this in the morning.

I'm worried she won't make it through the night but fingers crossed. Will let you know how we get on.

Thank you again, really appreciated x

Back
Top Bottom