SICK HEN WEIRD BREATHING!

She either has a respiratory illness which should clear up eventually on its own, although it could keep coming back. Or she has an avian virus that causes cancer tumors and her heart, lungs and other organs may be affected. That will lead to death.

I'm sorry, but there's not much to be done unless you can get some Tylosin and treat her for the respiratory symptoms and see if that clears it up.

This will be self diagnosing. If she gets better, it's likely a chronic respiratory disease, which the entire flock as been exposed to. Or if she continues to get worse, then you would suspect an avian virus, likely lymphoid leucosis, which the entire flock has been exposed to. If she dies, you can have the state animal testing lab do a necrospsy and confirm cause of death.

She either has a respiratory illness which should clear up eventually on its own, although it could keep coming back. Or she has an avian virus that causes cancer tumors and her heart, lungs and other organs may be affected. That will lead to death.

I'm sorry, but there's not much to be done unless you can get some Tylosin and treat her for the respiratory symptoms and see if that clears it up.

This will be self diagnosing. If she gets better, it's likely a chronic respiratory disease, which the entire flock as been exposed to. Or if she continues to get worse, then you would suspect an avian virus, likely lymphoid leucosis, which the entire flock has been exposed to. If she dies, you can have the state animal testing lab do a necrospsy and confirm cause of death.
Thank you for the help, could I buy tylosin without prescription? Tomorrow I'm not gonna be home since mid day and I'm not gonna come back till Sunday probably on the afternoon.

In July I had a chicken with a similar problem. Instead she sounded congested and sneezed/coughed but she got well

This is how she sounds. Not better than yesterday but she seems really active

It could be just something blocking her airway. If so, it should clear up on its own in a day. Judge things by her behavior just as you would your child if they insist they're too sick to go to school. Is she listless, no energy, poor appetite, wanting to hang out on the edge of the flock activity, tail down, fluffed up? If she's behaving normally, then I suspect simple stridor.

It could be just something blocking her airway. If so, it should clear up on its own in a day. Judge things by her behavior just as you would your child if they insist they're too sick to go to school. Is she listless, no energy, poor appetite, wanting to hang out on the edge of the flock activity, tail down, fluffed up? If she's behaving normally, then I suspect simple stridor.
Ah okay thank you. Shes really active running around the whole house her tail really up as always, I'm gonna stop with the corn since my chickens prefer corn over crumble feed . Shes one of the hens that only eats corn but I offered wet feed and she ate all. She does liquid poop but she's always in her whole life done diarrhea. But other than her breathing she's good and two days ago she laid yesterday I gave her vetrx and didn't work.

If this was the behavior of one in my flock, I wouldn't be too worried. I would just keep a close eye on her. Another thing to rule out would be a crop disorder. To do that, check her crop in the morning before she has access to food and water. If the crop is full in the morning, that can account for the breathing sounds since sometimes a sour crop can cause regurgitation that irritates the airway and can cause wheezing. If she has a full crop, then you will know to begin treating it.

If this was the behavior of one in my flock, I wouldn't be too worried. I would just keep a close eye on her. Another thing to rule out would be a crop disorder. To do that, check her crop in the morning before she has access to food and water. If the crop is full in the morning, that can account for the breathing sounds since sometimes a sour crop can cause regurgitation that irritates the airway and can cause wheezing. If she has a full crop, then you will know to begin treating it.
Okay thank you ,it seems like she wants to lay but she still sounds weird.

Attachments

• 20240202_103742.jpg
    20240202_103742.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom