SICK HEN WEIRD BREATHING!

Mily79

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2023
I have this chicken I think an Easter egger without feathers on face who's 2 years old. 2 days ago I saw her closing her eyes in the coop not really wanting to open them. I thought she was falling asleep on her stick and thought it was normal. Hours later shes on the ground laying down breathing with her mouth open, she sounded weird and eyes shut.I separated her from the rest of the chickens.She seems better than 2 days ago though she still breathes weird but now with her mouth close. First photo is from 2 days ago second from yesterday and third today.
Shes now active but still sounds weird breathing. Could anyone please help me what to do ,please

Attachments

• 20240130_160229.jpg
    20240130_160229.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20240131_144708.jpg
    20240131_144708.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240201_122208.jpg
    20240201_122208.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 12
I would place her back with her flock to make her more comfortable unless they are picking on her. If she has something contagious they were all exposed at the same time. Is her right eye still squinty? That side seems a little swollen. Is there any yellow material inside her beak or on her tongue? Do you see any bubbles or foam in her eye? Is there any mucus open her beak or on her nostrils?

These days it's been kinda chilly like on the 60s and 70s in florida. I currently don't see anything since she moves a lot when I try to check.
Her diet is crumble laying food mixed with cracked corn though she rarely eats the crumble feed ,most of my chickens only eat cracked corn they only leave the crumble unless they're starving.

I would place her back with her flock to make her more comfortable unless they are picking on her. If she has something contagious they were all exposed at the same time. Is her right eye still squinty? That side seems a little swollen. Is there any yellow material inside her beak or on her tongue? Do you see any bubbles or foam in her eye? Is there any mucus open her beak or on her nostrils?
She already went to sleep ill place her back in the coop tomorrow morning. She pecks on the others and most time only stays on her roosting stick.Her eyes seem normal no bubbles on eye. How can I check for mucus?

She would have dripping from her nostrils or gunk from her beak if there was mucus. You really should stop the cracked corn and put them all on a balanced layer or all flock feed . That is all they need. The corn is like feeding candy, but it has less than half the protein and is not a balanced diet.

She would have dripping from her nostrils or gunk from her beak if there was mucus. You really should stop the cracked corn and put them all on a balanced layer or all flock feed . That is all they need. The corn is like feeding candy, but it has less than half the protein and is not a balanced diet.
Ah okay I will stop with the corn also it doesn't seem like there's in her nose and neither something in her mouth.

Update: She sound more weird today,I tried looking inside her mouth and don't see anything since she moves a lot. Should I still put her back in the chicken coop? All the other hens seem fine.

Back
Top Bottom