Sick Hen.. What should I do???

kattfink

Songster
Jul 4, 2019
VIC, AUSTRALIA
My 1.5 yr old hen has been laying down with her eyes shut on and off today. Every time I get stressed and worried she seems to make a recovery... She has been eating, I'm not sure about drinking. I gave them all multi vitamins in their water yesterday.
I just went in to lock them up for the night and she was sitting on the ground under the laying box, instead of perching with the others.
She was very calm when I placed her in the laying box, at least she'll be warmer than on the ground.
I'm terrified she'll die overnight.
Is there anything I can do for her?

Is a veterinarian an option? If so, they can do a fecal float test (among other tests) to determine if she has a worm or coccidia overload. If a vet is not an option, then several questions need to be asked to try to help isolate what's troubling your girl.
How long ago was her last worming or coccidiosis treatment? If you don't remember, then it's time to do it. Worming and coccidia medicine are different, so get both and you can administer them to the entire flock in their water, and they can be given at the same time without ill effect. When did she lay her last egg? If you don't know for certain that she's laying then you'll need to crate her (dog cage) until she either does, or doesn't lay an egg (a couple days). What is her posture when standing/walking (penguin-like often indicates eggbound)? Have you examined her for external parasites recently (under the wings, around her vent, and on her feet and legs)? Can you post several full body pictures of her? Face straight on (not just the face), face side view (can be face only, want a good image of her eyes and nostrils), side view (preferably standing or moving to get a good idea of her posture), a good shot of her back side (vent area), and a picture or two of her excrement.
It is quite normal for a sick bird to 'act normal' when you pay attention to them. It's 'against chicken rules' to let on that they are in any way feeling 'under the weather'. This behavior is why a bird is seemingly fine one day and deathly ill the next.
I'll keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.

I just gave her some water with soluvite D in it. She drank about 5ml without any fuss.
I'm not sure who is laying at moment. We average 3 eggs a day from our 10 hens. She is holding her head normally, very clean around vent. She looks in great condition. It's night time at moment so hard to take pics. Wormed them all about a month ago.
Thanks SO much for your replies 💜

I just gave her some water with soluvite D in it. She drank about 5ml without any fuss.
I'm not sure who is laying at moment. We average 3 eggs a day from our 10 hens. She is holding her head normally, very clean around vent. She looks in great condition. It's night time at moment so hard to take pics. Wormed them all about a month ago.
Thanks SO much for your replies 💜
I would bring her inside. If she is sick. You dont want her with the other chickens. Also you will want to monitor her for egg laying and her bowel movements.

I had someone who knows chickens well to have a look at her.. She said yes she's sick, no she's not egg bound, she had food in her crop and it felt normal.
She suggested worming them all again and feeding my sick girl a teaspoon of minced garlic and chilli every day for 5 days. Has anyone else heard of this helping? I thought chickens weren't supposed to eat garlic.

Back
Top Bottom